• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Golden Syrup in NYC

Franci

I usually picked it up at Meyers of Keswick (634 Hudson, a few minutes' walk southwest from the 14th Street A/C/E station). I've picked it up elsewhere too (Zabaar's, I think possibly also Fairway, Dean and DeLuca on Broadway, south of Houston, and Carry On Tea and Sympathy, which is pretty close to Meyers of Keswick...I burn through tins of this stuff very, very quickly, it's amazing in hot chocolate, for example), but Meyers ALWAYS had it, so it was my go-to when I didn't have time to look all over the place.

• Like 2

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

If someone from New Jersey can chime in...Lyle's Golden Syrup is found in the regular baking supplies isle, along with sugar and flour and such (at least in my local Shoprite). As I recall Lyle's is owned by an American company these days, so perhaps golden syrup is not as exotic as it once was.

Can't say I care for the stuff, unfortunately.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I'm pretty sure I've seen it in Wegmans supermarket in NJ, in the "British" specialty food area. They unfortunately don't have any stores in NYC, though.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde