• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Week In Groceries Around the World

weinoo

This article from Reality Pod is pretty awesome. Not much written, but great photos of families in different countries and the food they buy and eat over the course of a week.

Almost everyone has bananas! And it's sad to see how little some have to get by on when we think about how much waste there is, certainly in the good old USA.

Of course, if you read through the comments, there are the usual number of idiots.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Interesting to see that they chose a highland family in Ecuador, too - the coast's weekly groceries are really different. They're also leaving out the fact that the family pictured likely raises their own chickens or cuyes - protein isn't represented in what they bought, but it's a big part of the Ecuadorian diet.

• Like 1

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

This is from a book published six years ago: http://www.amazon.com/Hungry-Planet-What-World-Eats/dp/0984074422

I remember reading an article with extracts from the book (basically that photo slideshow) in Time magazine, and discussions about it on, uhh, another food forum years ago. (I just checked, yes, those discussions are there. ;-) )