• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Soaking Beans and Travel

Porthos

Tomorrow night my DW and I will be traveling for about a 6-hour drive. I am going to start 8 cups of pinto beans soaking when we leave. They will be in a stainless steel vessel. Since I often soak beans overnight for use the next afternoon, just sitting on the counter, I see no need to refrigerate the beans just because they may sit for an extra maybe 2 hours. I just want a sanity check that I haven't overlooked anything.

Since the bean dish will be something my DW will be making, and she believes in always soaking beans, then draining and cooking in new water, no-soak methods are of no interest to her.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I can't see any problem. I regularly start soaking beans in the morning and go off to work for the day. I wish I could get home in six hours, but it is more usually nine or ten. Never had a problem with the beans - lots of problems with the work!

And no, I don't usually refrigerate them except in the depth of summer when the ambient temperature in my kitchen is over 40ºC.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

There is no problem! I do not regularly soak for making straight-up beans, but I do soak them first before sprouting them. (I like sprouted beans a lot too.). My soak for sprouting is always 24 hours or more for things like pintos. Don't worry, your pintos will not sprout as there are a couple more steps. The beans are well hydrated after that time, but nothing bad happens. You might consider sprouting beans sometime too.

After a significant time - 48 hours? - the beans might show fermenting. I do this too, particularly with black-eyed peas. Even then they are still good (unless they are not, which you'd know).