• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Refrigerating lobster meat

mm84321

I read somewhere (cannot remember where) that the act of refrigerating cooked lobster flesh greatly impacts its taste and overall quality. The same for shrimp, langoustine, and the like. While I have not tested to see for myself, is there perhaps a scientific explanation behind this reasoning? Can lower temperature impact delicate flavor compounds? A few recipes I've looked at instruct you to keep cooked and shelled lobster meat at room temperature until serving, in one case covered in softened butter. I have also seen contrary instructions as to whether the act of washing the flesh of cooked shrimp or lobster has a negative effect to the flesh. Ramsay, in one instance, says it ruins the meat, while Alain Soliveres, of the restaurant Taillevent, instructs washing lobster tails immediately after shelling to rid the excess albumin. Any thoughts?

It toughens protein. It is not just shellfish, but also chicken and other delicate flesh. I try very hard to time my cooking of these so that I never have to refrigerate before serving. You can put your quick-cooked shrimp for shrimp cocktail lightly on ice, but not in the fridge; ditto for lobster. Most things cool enough in a cool kitchen to be at a good temp. Chicken salad or a lobster role that has been refrigerated may as well not be eaten, in my opinion.