• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help with Packaging Lollipops!

minas6907

Hi everyone!

I had a question about packaging, namely what to use for tying the base of a lollipop. For a long time I've been using ribbon and tying a bow (you can see in the pic included) Specifically, these lollipops were from one year ago, since then I have been making my bows a bit smaller. But now that I may be doing lollipops in a larger quantities for weddings, I'm looking for something to replace tying a bow with plain ribbon. Truthfully I'm not really sure where to go. I'd like something small, something I can get in bulk. So far I went to uline and saw they have twist ties, but I'd rather have something that didnt really look like a normal twist tie. Can anyone give suggestions on a direction to turn for packaging supplies? I've been going to clearcellobags.com for most of my wrappers and such, but they didnt have anything that looked promising. What other site would sell similar packaging items?

Josh's Wedding Lollis.jpg

Here's a photo of how I tie mine. I use that curling ribbon that you can buy at the dollar store. Simply a double knot on the package and then curl the leftover with the blade of a small pair of scissors. The ends don't have to be even or anything. These are double colors, but you could use only one color. It's still a bit of a pain and I often get Ed to help in the process.Valentine lollies.JPG

I've also used those precut gold twist ties.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Innoseal makes a variety of sealers that automatically twist wrappers then wrap tape around the twist and cut the tape. The tape they provide is re-resealable and comes in several colors. You can also have them print custom tape. You've probably seen the seal on bakery goods, fruits and vegetables. I got one of their sealers a few years ago at Sur La Table and have enjoyed using it. They do make a sealer for pops, here it is advertized as being for cake pops, but anything with that sort of paper stick would work. (the person giving the bad review couldn't figure it out) This isn't the prettiest option, but, it is definitely fast.

LIsa, that looks brilliant. I don't make enough lollipops anymore to justify the cost, but if I did....

Boy, did I hate the packaging part! :angry:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I've purchased many items from papermart.com for wrapping chocolates and cookies. They have numerous tie options, some nice short wide twist ties that come in gold and silver (and red/green for holidays) that go on very easily and you can buy all of their products in bulk (or not) and I think their prices are very reasonable. Hope this helps!

Ruth

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, thanks for the replies! I've been considering alot of different options, but over all, I think the most effective will be white plastic twist ties, simply because I could tie them quickly and they are fairly inconspicuous. Anywho, just wanted to give an update.

• 1 month later...

I've purchased many items from papermart.com for wrapping chocolates and cookies. They have numerous tie options, some nice short wide twist ties that come in gold and silver (and red/green for holidays) that go on very easily and you can buy all of their products in bulk (or not) and I think their prices are very reasonable. Hope this helps!

Ruth

I like papermart.com as well. Though I mainly go for the boxes they sell, they do have a lot of packing/container stuff for sale.