• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Savory mousses

borgr

hi,

I am kind of new to the mouses world and I am looking to make a spinach mousse. looking around I have found out that almost every recipie has cream in it, I wondered whether the cream can be substituted with something less fatty and what exactly is the role of the cream? is it for taste, stabillity with the white of the egg or for something else?

IIRC, cream is used for mousses because the emulsified butterfat solidifies at refrigeration temperatures, which helps allow the mousse to hold it's shape. Are you trying to make a set mousse? Warm or cold?

If you have access to a copy of the Modernist Cuisine, on page 4-278 they have a nice table of stabilizers you can add to virtually any liquid to make a thick or set foam. I would imagine a good place to start would be to add some of these ingredients to spinach juice and charge them in a siphon.

Edited by Baselerd (log)

I dont have a siphon what would I use it for?

If you add a stabiliser to a non-fatty liquid and put it through the siphon it will produce a foam with a substantial body that won't collapse immediately. Not the same as (lighter, less solid than) a mousse but you can make them without cream. Stabilisers would include eggs, agar-agar and starch.

Otherwise, a soufflé or flan might give something similar to the effect you want.

Edited by Plantes Vertes (log)
  • Like 1