• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

LA Chinese Restaurants

eatingwitheddie

Not rj, but, a dish looking like that in Msia, will be a cold prawn (shrimp, whatevah!) dish, topped with what is usually referred to as 'salad sauce', otherwise known as mayonnaise.

What? Malaysia is exotic? LOL, does that make Msians exotic too?

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

I haven't seen any mention of Hop Li Seafood Restaurant, which is sort of out of the way in old Chinatown, on Alpine street.

Since Wally Kwan's place closed in the late '80s, this is the only place I have been. The decor isn't much but the food is excellent, always very generous servings. The people with whom I have been, say it is more like Hong Kong cookery. Nothing very spicy but the flavors vary considerably from dish to dish, each distinct.

It lives in my memory with particular emphasis as on my first visit I had a bowl of Wor Won Ton soup that contained lovely little purple "flowers" that turned out to be baby octupus - delicious.

I had eaten octupus before but had never seen them so tiny.

I have been to a fair number of places in the San Gabriel valley, however my friends and I usually opt for Kim Chuy on Valley Blvd. in Alhambra, because we particularly like the noodle dishes. I don't know if they moved from Chinatown or if this is a second restaurant, but many years ago, when I used to visit downtown L.A. often, there was a restaurant with the same name and very similar, if not identical dishes, in the arcade located next to the import markets and fish dealers.

We often have to flip a coin to choose a restaurant because we also like Wahib's, a middle eastern restaurant on East Main. A touch decision.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I have been to a fair number of places in the San Gabriel valley, however my friends and I usually opt for Kim Chuy on Valley Blvd. in Alhambra, because we particularly like the noodle dishes.  I don't know if they moved from Chinatown or if this is a second restaurant, but many years ago, when I used to visit downtown L.A. often, there was a restaurant with the same name and very similar, if not identical dishes, in the arcade located next to the import markets and fish dealers. 

I'm pretty sure they were sister restaurants.

NBC is a good, reliable choice for Cantonese banquets in Monterey Park, but my family in LA usually goes out to the nearby NYC Seafood at the corner of Atlantic and Garvey. Similar food for lower prices.

• 1 month later...

I'm going to be in LA for a week in May. I've been before (to Dim Sum in Montery Park) and want to experience a larger variety of the Chinese offerings.

I've had Sichuan chinese in New York, Dim Sum a number of times in various places, and chinese at a few places in Vancouver.

I just bought Carl Chu's book, and probably am going to try to have about 2-3 meals in the San Gabriel valley.

I'd appreciate any suggestions anyone has. Right now I am thinking about: dim sum, a seafood house, and maybe one other meal.

I was thinking about trying islamic chinese or Shanghainese ... I would like to try something unique that I am unable to be able to get of good quality in the ny metro area.

[...]I was thinking about trying islamic chinese or Shanghainese  ...  I would like to try something unique that I am unable to be able to get of good quality in the ny metro area.

Sorry... I need to ask: What are you not able to get of good quality in NY metro area?

Not trying to be cute. I am unfamiliar with what's available in the NY area. I thought you can get pretty much everything since there's enough Chinese immigrants in NY.

I like one place that serve Shanghainese/Taiwanese food:

一條龍北平麵點

301 W. Valley Blvd., #110-111, San Gabriel, CA 91776

626-282-5953

Not quite sure what their English store name is. Perhaps you can call them and find out. I like their Xiaolongbao and beet stew noodle soups. They have some stir-fried entrees (e.g. fish) and Shanghai/Taiwanese "baos" kind of thing that I also like. (e.g. the thousand layered cake? Ja Bing [Mandarin]??? - it is pan-fried. You can peel off rings and rings of the fried dough to eat. Very tasty.)

For hot pot (all you can eat), I think it's this one:

海星自助海鮮火鍋

Sea Star Hot Pot

740 E. Valley Blvd.

Alhambra

626-282-1883

that I tried a while back. They might have changed hand. I think they used to be "Coriya Hot Pot".

If you like Hong Kong style "western food" (not sure if you do)... there is "JJ Cafe" that I really like:

J J Hong Kong Cafe

Address: 447 W Garvey Ave # 102, Monterey Park, CA 91754

Phone: (626) 280-3833

I really love their Hong Kong style Curry Beef (over rice or spaghetti) and their red bean shaved ice. They have other things such as Seafood Black Pepper Udon that I like.

There is also this big shopping mall complex (big in Asian store standard) at the corner of S. Del Mar Ave and W. Valley Blvd in the city of San Gabriel: (Anchored by a 99 Ranch Market). You can park your car there and just stroll around to find the eatery that you like. They have an Islamic Chinese restaurant there, Sam Woo (very good Cantonese BBQ and Cantonese stir-fried entrees... very crowded) and some other styles (e.g. Taiwanese). Go with the ones that are crowded. :raz:

(Note: my recommendation has a Hong-Kong Cantonese bias. Take it for what it is.)

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

I think nouveau Cantonese dim sum hasn't made its way to NYC yet. And for this you might try New Concept (Monterey Park), Sea Harbour (Rosemead), or Mission 261 (San Gabriel). They are probably listed in Carl Chu's book.

Tung Lai Shun (San Gabriel) is a popular restaurant serving Islamic Chinese cuisine, which last I checked was also pretty rare in NYC.

Any Cantonese place will specialize in seafood for dinner. For a slight Chiu Chow twist on Cantonese you might like 888 Seafood in Rosemead.

Edited by sheetz (log)

Thanks for the recs. I think that the difference between NY and LA is the diversity of chinese cuisine and the much larger chinese population, there's a lot more to choose from.

I think that there are a handful of really good chinese restaurants (Grand Sichuan and China 46) but nothing compared to the LA experience.

Thanks for the recs. I'm still deciding ...

Also, take a look at this list of recommended restaurants from Jonathan Gold, a number of which are in the San Gabriel Valley. They are:

Capital Seafood

Giang Nan

Lu Din Gee

Malan Noodle

Oriental Pearl

Sin Ba La

Triumphal Palace

Tung Lai Shun

Sea Star is a good hot pot place. It did not use to be Coriya though. Go there on your birthday and they will give you a $10 GC to use on your next visit.

I like going to NBC for dinner Mon-Fri when they have special menus. When they have wintermelon soup, it's the best deal in town at $8.95.

Ocean Star dim sum is also good Mon-Fri. That's when most of the basic dim sum dishes are only $1.70.

[...]I was thinking about trying islamic chinese or Shanghainese ... I would like to try something unique that I am unable to be able to get of good quality in the ny metro area.

For hot pot (all you can eat), I think it's this one:

海星自助海鮮火鍋

Sea Star Hot Pot

740 E. Valley Blvd.

Alhambra

626-282-1883

that I tried a while back. They might have changed hand. I think they used to be "Coriya Hot Pot".

I will definitely be going to dim sum during the week , not on the weekend. Is the selection as good? I want to go to a place that doesn't have carts, where you order off of the menu.

I may try a hot pot place. Too many choices.

I will definitely be going to dim sum during the week , not on the weekend.  Is the selection as good?  I want to go to a place that doesn't have carts, where you order off of the menu. 

Since it's off a menu, the weekday offerings are identical to what's available on the weekends.

I may try a hot pot place.  Too many choices.

There's a Northern style hot pot restaurant called Little Sheep in Monterey Park. Specializes in lamb. Never eaten there myself but it might be something you would like to try if you've never had it before.

blogger review of Little Sheep

Edited by sheetz (log)

Over in Arcadia near the Santa Anita Race Track (east of Pasadena) is a place called Din Tai Fung.

Here's the link to the discusssion thread Din Tai Fung Dumpling House.

Another place where you can order "without carts" is New Concept in Monterey Park on S. Atlantic. It's a bit non-traditional, dumplings in different colors ... This is not your father's dim sum ...

These two places are east of downtown Los Angeles. Quite a distance from LAX Airport.

I hope this helps.

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

Over in Arcadia near the Santa Anita Race Track (east of Pasadena)  is a place called Din Tai Fung.

Here's the link to the discusssion thread Din Tai Fung Dumpling House.

Another place where you can order "without carts" is New Concept in Monterey Park on S. Atlantic. It's a bit non-traditional, dumplings in different colors ... This is not your father's dim sum ...

These two places are east of downtown Los Angeles. Quite a distance from LAX Airport.

I hope this helps.

Of course, I am the biggest fan of Din Tai Fung. A trip to this place is mandatory. It's the only American location of this famous institution. You just can't go wrong with this restaurant. Order anything with shrimp and pork. And you will love the "appetizer". But the wait is long if you don't come early.

If anyone ever goes down to OC, try Seafood Cove. Surprising to me is that it isn't really on the OC internet foodie radar despite the plain sight location across from a grocery store. I went with 3 other foodies (1 Chinese, 2 Vietnamese). We were all in agreement. We loved it. So either we are all wrong or this is one of OC's well kept secrets.

Seafood Cove

8547 Westminster Ave,

Garden Grove 92644

714-895-7964.

Gustavo Arellano of OC Weekly calls China Garden OC's best experience for dim sum. It's the only dim sum place in east Irvine that I know of. I'm sure I've had better in Little Saigon, but I just can't remember where. Here are some tips.

The wait is long if you don't come when it opens which is 10:30?/11:30? Try to get a table on the left hand side of the restaurant by the aisles of course. That's where all the cart traffic is. Ask for water. It is not a given. Ask for you glass to be refilled. Again, not a given. Good service overall is not a given, so you must be proactive.

Oh, and there is this older cart woman who speaks English but you'll swear she is speaking to you in Chinese. Just nod.

China Garden

14825 Jeffrey Rd., Irvine

[...]If anyone ever goes down to OC, try Seafood Cove.  Surprising to me is that it isn't really on the OC internet foodie radar despite the plain sight location across from a grocery store.  I went with 3 other foodies (1 Chinese, 2 Vietnamese). We were all in agreement. We loved it. So either we are all wrong or this is one of OC's well kept secrets.

Seafood Cove

8547 Westminster Ave,

Garden Grove 92644

714-895-7964.

Is this the one that has no window outside and has a 2 big front doors with semi-circles on the top (golden dots on red color door)? And a fish tank (aquarium tank) right at the front door?

If so, I agree that it has very good Chinese food (with some Vietnamese touch). I used to go there for lunches when I worked in that area.

In Irvine, there is a "Sam Woo Seafood Restaurant" (949) 262-0688. They serve dim sum per order. Not a big variety but their dim sum and lunch/dinner entrees are quite decent. Service is very good.

[...]If anyone ever goes down to OC, try Seafood Cove.  Surprising to me is that it isn't really on the OC internet foodie radar despite the plain sight location across from a grocery store.  I went with 3 other foodies (1 Chinese, 2 Vietnamese). We were all in agreement. We loved it. So either we are all wrong or this is one of OC's well kept secrets.

Seafood Cove

8547 Westminster Ave,

Garden Grove 92644

714-895-7964.

Is this the one that has no window outside and has a 2 big front doors with semi-circles on the top (golden dots on red color door)? And a fish tank (aquarium tank) right at the front door?

If so, I agree that it has very good Chinese food (with some Vietnamese touch). I used to go there for lunches when I worked in that area.

In Irvine, there is a "Sam Woo Seafood Restaurant" (949) 262-0688. They serve dim sum per order. Not a big variety but their dim sum and lunch/dinner entrees are quite decent. Service is very good.

I think it is, but I'm not sure. Anyway, here is the restaurant sign:

http://www.angelfire.com/stars5/cami_pics9/o2o7o4/68.jpg

The line got re-directed to a different page and only a generic JPG file showed up.

I would be interested to confirm if that is the restaurant I used to frequent.

The line got re-directed to a different page and only a generic JPG file showed up.

I would be interested to confirm if that is the restaurant I used to frequent.

Try this link:

http://oc.vinacity.com/restaurants/user_re...at_id=25&id=407

This thread should make an ultimate list of the LA restaurants forementioned and list them beneath the regional cuisine so we can distinguish between them. Add a region as well if I'm missing something or have something wrong. Cut and Paste. Modify all you want.

ds=dim sum

American Chinese

Anhui Cuisine

Beijing Cuisine

Chiu Chow Cuisine

888 Seafood (ds)

Fujian Cuisine

Guangdong Cuisine (Cantonese?)

Embassy, NBC Seafood Restaurant (ds)

Hong Kong Cuisine

Sea Harbour Seafood (ds)

Hunan Cuisine

Islamic Chinese Cuisine

Tung Lai Shun

Jiangsu Cuisine

Shandong Cuisine

Mei Long Village

Shanghei Cuisine

Green Village, King's Palace

Sichuan Cuisine

Taiwanese Cuisine

Din Tai Fung

Zhejiang Cuisine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_cuisine

Edited by savvysearch (log)

Great idea! I was just visiting my parents in SoCal, and we went to Diamond Bar a few times for Chinese food. I added a few restaurants below - would also suggest adding a "Hong Kong Diner" and "Chinese Vegetarian" category.

This thread should make an ultimate list of the LA restaurants forementioned and list them beneath the regional cuisine so we can distinguish between them. Add a region as well if I'm missing something or have something wrong. Cut and Paste. Modify all you want. 

ds=dim sum

American Chinese

Anhui Cuisine 

Beijing Cuisine

Chiu Chow Cuisine

888 Seafood (ds)

Fujian Cuisine

Embassy, NBC Seafood Restaurant (ds)

Hong Kong Cuisine

Sea Harbour Seafood (ds)

Phoenix (Irvine)

Hong Kong Cafe

Garden Cafe (Rowland Heights)

Hunan Cuisine

Islamic Chinese Cuisine

Tung Lai Shun

Jiangsu Cuisine

Shandong Cuisine

Mei Long Village

Shanghei Cuisine

Supreme Dragon, for potstickers and soup dumplings (Rowland Heights)

Sichuan Cuisine

Taiwanese Cuisine

Din Tai Fung

Xiao Mei for shaved ice (chain with locations everywhere in San Gabriel)

Vegetarian Chinese

Happy Family

Zhejiang Cuisine

Edited by wonderbread (log)

ds=dim sum

American Chinese

Anhui Cuisine

Beijing Cuisine

Chiu Chow Cuisine

888 Seafood (ds)

Fujian Cuisine

Embassy, NBC Seafood Restaurant (ds), Mission 261 (ds/S.Gabriel)

Hong Kong Cuisine

Sea Harbour Seafood (ds)

Phoenix (Irvine)

Hong Kong Cafe

Garden Cafe (Rowland Heights)

Hunan Cuisine

Islamic Chinese Cuisine

Tung Lai Shun

Jiangsu Cuisine

Shandong Cuisine

Mei Long Village

Shanghei Cuisine

Supreme Dragon, for potstickers and soup dumplings (Rowland Heights)

Sichuan Cuisine

Chung King (Monterey Park)

Taiwanese Cuisine

Din Tai Fung(dumpling house/Arcadia)

Xiao Mei for shaved ice (chain with locations everywhere in San Gabriel)

Vegetarian Chinese

Happy Family

Zhejiang Cuisine

Edited by savvysearch (log)

Vegetarian Chinese

Happy Family

I am slightly bummed to report that, while up in LA this past weekend, I sought out Happy Family and did not have a totally happy experience.

Maybe it's because they just moved--I went to their old address first, and discovered a sign giving their new address--and the kitchen hasn't totally finished it's post-move shake-down, I dunno, just speculating here.

I went with their "all you can eat" option, so I was able to sample three different dishes before I filled up. The service was certainly very nice, and some of the dishes were also quite nice. But I'm one of those freaks who like to actually order *vegetables* at a vegetarian restaurant :smile: , and whereas most of their fake meats had good flavor and mouthfeel, I found their vegetables to be uniformly watery and flavorless. And those of their "meat" offerings I tasted that were not good, also had that same problem of watery flavorlessness--like they had steamed them too long and/or with no seasoning whatsover.

Speaking of which--I saw no condiment bottles anywhere on any table in the restaurant, including those tables full of Asian customers. Is this place doing that variety of Buddhist vegetarian cuisine that eschews strong seasonings altogether? I didn't think so as some of their menu items were marked as spicy. All I know is, I seriously wished I'd had some sauces to doctor up my congee, let alone those poor veggies.

All the positive reviews I'd read on this place lead me to think that it can't have been like my experience with it yesterday. Anyone else dine here since it moved? Is it perhaps that customers tend to just stick with all the fake-meat dishes and don't bother with the veggies? I'm used to being able to trust Chinese as one of the few restaurant cusines that I can depend on for getting veggies right, so I'm a little bewildered nonetheless.

(Oh yeah--the new location: the big pink three-level store/restaurant complex on the NW corner of Atlantic and Garvey, right across the street from the 99 Ranch there.)

Edited by mizducky (log)

Vegetarian Chinese

Happy Family

I am slightly bummed to report that, while up in LA this past weekend, I sought out Happy Family and did not have a totally happy experience.

How crowded was it yesterday? What was the Asian/Round-eye ratio? :laugh: Any tell tale sign?

Vegetarian Chinese

Happy Family

How crowded was it yesterday? What was the Asian/Round-eye ratio? :laugh: Any tell tale sign?

:laugh: Good questions! I'd call the ratio about 50/50, which might have been a promising sign in other neighborhoods but struck me as rather low on Asian customers for a place right in the heart of Monterey Park. And I was concerned that at approx. 12:30pm on a Sunday the restaurant was only about half-full, as opposed to jam-packed. As I had just gone through the trouble of fighting my way through the crazy traffic first to the old location then backtracking several blocks to the new location, I wrote the smallish crowd off to other people's unwillingness to do the same. But in hindsight perhaps I should have taking warning from all these factors.