• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese Eats at Home (Part 1)

Dejah

I figured out my problem in posting images: I was trying to post the unprocessed/unsized picture!

Anyway, here's what we had for supper: velvetized chicken, ginger, lap cheung, and slivers of acouple of left over mushrooms. I used a mixture of half long grain jasmine and half glutinous rice. It was made in my cast iron pot on top of the stove. Very comforting on a blizzardy evening.

gallery_13838_3935_40238.jpg

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Any leftovers, mizducky? Would be yummy, overnight, with some noodles.  :smile:

Yep--one whole tail, probably about 4-5 ounces of meat. Plus the broth, which is pretty intense -- in a good way. I was thinking of having the tail meat with some congee tomorrow. And saving the broth for the next time I red cook something.

Any leftovers, mizducky? Would be yummy, overnight, with some noodles.  :smile:

Yep--one whole tail, probably about 4-5 ounces of meat. Plus the broth, which is pretty intense -- in a good way. I was thinking of having the tail meat with some congee tomorrow. And saving the broth for the next time I red cook something.

That broth is the best, isn't it? Mizducky. I like to just ladle a spoonful onto my rice. Yummy.

To be honest, I haven't gotten up enough nerve to eat the "pope's nose" yet. Of course, I also say that's reserved for the elders in the family, but then, I'll soon be in that catagory and may not be able to escape what awaits me. :unsure::laugh:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

gallery_19795_3932_39349.jpg

String beans sauteed with onion wedges, garlic, salt, and... the small pieces scattered around are reconstituted dried oysters cut into 1/4 inch slices. Very simple.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

:biggrin:

TP: hav u 8 dinR yet? Where r d pics? want 2 c em. hurE! ttyl

I hEr u.

Ta-paued Malay spice chicken with nasi lemak (coconut milk rice) for dinner last night. Yum. I marinated some char siu overnight and just had it for a simple lunch. Excuse the blurry pic...hubby took my 'real' cam with him and I've forgotten how to use this one.

gallery_12248_3956_85486.jpg

Dinner tonite is probably fried rice with a fish ball/amaranth soup made with dried ikan bilis (whitebait?) stock.

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

I tried making pineapple buns today. Aside from their enormous size (I got lazy and made 6 buns out a recipe meant for 12) they tasted just fine but as they baked they lost the nice pineapple look that I spent so much time scoring into them. Anyone have any suggestions how I might fix this problem?

gallery_26439_3934_557311.jpg

This ain't good for me! I've been trying very hard not to make too many sweets and here you are posting your goodies, sheetz. Is your pastry very wet? Try making it drier and perhaps reduce on the leavening agent. See, we have the same plate, more or less, lol!

Here's tonight's dinner for me and the girls.

friedrice30nov06.jpg

Clockwise from top left: Tempoyak Paku-Pakis. Paku-pakis is fern in malay. Tempoyak is fermented durian cooked with chili, sweet-sourish in taste. Fortunately, my whole family love this tempoyak bought from a stall near my house. It also has ikan-bilis(whitebait) and petai(stinky beans) in it. :wacko: LOVE IT! A soup boiled with lots of ikan-bilis for stock, with purple amaranth and sai toh fish balls(I googled and that is wolf herring), bought from my neighbourhood's organic store...no preservatives. Next is kimchi from S Korea given by a friend. All to be eaten with a simple fried rice of bacon and eggs with garlic and shallots for aromatics.

Oops, just realized that this isn't a 100% chinese meal....at most it's 50% :blink:

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

Oops, just realized that this isn't a 100% chinese meal....at most it's 50% :blink:

Hey, at least you know when you're doing mix-and-match ... a lot of the time I'm totally unsure as to whether I've just committed "fusion" or not! :laugh: Besides, it all looks delicious!

Stephen, Peony, Tepee: I also have the same pattern for dishes, except mine are yellow! My s-i- has the red set, and my sister has the turquoisy blue set.

I actually have 2 sets, both yellow. The set my mom and I brought from HK in 1958 was fired much better as the glaze is not peeling. The newer set we ordered from Taiwan has smaller dinner plates, and the glaze is fading or flaking. :angry:

I need to buy some more. Maybe I'll check out the stock in the stores and see if I can replace some of them.

Grandson is here for supper tonight, so it's leftovers and oyster sauce ho fun. He'll have the ho fun, "just oyster sauce, please, gramma" with such a smile. How can I refuse? :laugh:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I actually have 2 sets, both yellow. The set my mom and I brought from HK in 1958 was fired much better as the glaze is not peeling. The newer set we ordered from Taiwan has smaller dinner plates, and the glaze is fading or flaking. :angry:

You are still using the set bought/brought in 1958? Almost half a century? :blink: Everyday? Wow! These things last a long time!

Kim Chi for the girls? Wow! They are really trained to handle hot taste when they are young! last week I cooked the string beans with just a minute amount of chili bean sauce (1 tsp for the whole dish feeding 8 people) and served it during Thanks Giving dinner... My 7-year niece said the food "burns her lips".

I observe (and now recall) the dishes and bowls are smaller in Asia. You go to the dim sum restaurants in Hong Kong, they give you "tiny" bowls (3-inch diameter).

You should have seen the footage from the Kylie Kwong show. In her friend's restaurant in Shanghai (or maybe her friend's home), the bowls they use (individual bowls for holding rice)... 12 inch in diameter! :blink:

Personally, I have an aversion to kidneys and livers. I used to love them in my younger days, but, during my latest confinement, I ordered the food which was delivered daily for one month. On the 3rd day, they gave me lots and lots of these stuff. They were undercooked (I think) and I had the worst case of purging, lost 5lbs in 2 days. Another case against liver is a close friend who had a craving in her early pregnancy ate a lot of liver, and during her 20th week had to abort because the baby had problems. A coincidence?

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

You are still using the set bought/brought in 1958?  Almost half a century?  :blink: Everyday?  Wow!  These things last a long time!

Mine are also around that age. My MIL just gave them to me...got them when she was first married. Among them is a big yellow soup bowl. They're made in China.

Ah Leung gaw, the 12-in individual bowls must have taken up a lot of space on the table! The table must have been huge.

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Kim Chi for the girls?  Wow!  They are really trained to handle hot taste when they are young!

Only the youngest has not developed the 'tongue' for heat. My 12yo can take the kimchi better than I.

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Peony - we have that same soup in the Philippines, too. My mom would add cubed kidneys along with the liver for the miswas soup. The soup is served hot with freshly chopped chinese celery (kinchay). It's a great warming soup for those windy, rainy days.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

On the 3rd day, they gave me lots and lots of these stuff. They were undercooked (I think) and I had the worst case of purging, lost 5lbs in 2 days. Another case against liver is a close friend who had a craving in her early pregnancy ate a lot of liver, and during her 20th week had to abort because the baby had problems. A coincidence?

Sounds to me like the underdone pork liver still harboured parasites. :shock:

strange isn't it ? some can take everything, others has adverse effects from eating the pig's internal organs.

we used to eat every part of the pigs, ...brain, livers, kidneys, intestines and even its blood... but nowadays has to refrain ...

peony

Delicious pix, sheetz. BTW, would like to ask questions about the Fuchsia Dunlop book. Are most of the recipes spicy? Will this be a good christmas prezzie (for myself)? :rolleyes:

BTW, Malaysian food today. So no posting. :smile:

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Delicious pix, sheetz. BTW, would like to ask questions about the Fuchsia Dunlop book. Are most of the recipes spicy? Will this be a good christmas prezzie (for myself)?  :rolleyes:

I haven't done a lot of cooking from Fushia's book yet. I'm waiting for Xmas break to really explore. Her red braised pork is not spicy, if that helps. :smile:

And, spicy or not, OF COURSE it will be a good Xmas prezzie for YOU! Silly question. :laugh:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com