• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Which Pear?

Porthos

I apologize if this topic has been raised before. I don't seem to do well searching the site.

I'm not much of a baker over all but I have been cooking since the mid-1960s. I'm making a simple pear cobbler for my FIL for Father's Day and the recipe I'm using simply says "Ripe Pears." The question: what variety of pears do I want for baking? I'm in southern California and have all of the major supermarkets available to me so the only thing I would ask is for a variety that is part of the normal retail food chain.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

For a pear cobbler, I'd take the hardest ones I could find.

There's a whole lot of pears that may be suitable, but it's the same rule as it is for apples; The harder and not so very sweet ones are by far the best ones for anything that involves heating, such as pies and cakes baked in the oven.

For cold dishes, like salads, the softer sweeter ones is good, unless your after the acid in for instance a potato- or waldorf salad.

Edited by Mofassah (log)

Sorry, I have to disagree. I've tried to bake with unripe pears (inadvertently), and the bad news is, they don't soften enough during cooking. Not enough to be toothsome, anyway. Also, since they are not sweet, they don't taste that good.

I've baked with Bosc and Anjou pears. Bartlett pears, when ripe, tend to be very soft. My test is to eat a ripe pear. If it's sweet, chewable, but still firm and sliceable (not mushy), it's good to go. For a pear cobbler, any ripe pear should be fine. Believe what the recipe says, and buy the best pears at the market. :wink:

Sorry, I have to disagree. I've tried to bake with unripe pears (inadvertently), and the bad news is, they don't soften enough during cooking. Not enough to be toothsome, anyway. Also, since they are not sweet, they don't taste that good.

I've baked with Bosc and Anjou pears. Bartlett pears, when ripe, tend to be very soft. My test is to eat a ripe pear. If it's sweet, chewable, but still firm and sliceable (not mushy), it's good to go. For a pear cobbler, any ripe pear should be fine. Believe what the recipe says, and buy the best pears at the market. :wink:

Pears need to be ripe, agreed. Anjou, Bartlett, Bosc in that order. I would not use Comice, as they are too juicy, best for eating.

Ah, sure, I agree completely. I did not mean hardest as in not ripe. With "hardest" I should have said "firm". You don't want pears that's not ripe for sure. A very ripe cornice would for instance disintegrate almost to jelly when cooked. I have used bartlett (or Williams as we call them in Europe) and concord pears with decent results.

Edited by Mofassah (log)