• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Egg Rings

Shel_B

I like the concept of the Egg McMuffin, but I do not like the MacDonald's execution. Solution: make my own at home.

With that in mind, it seems like a reasonable idea to get a set of egg rings (unless someone has a better suggestion). So, any suggestions? What do I look for? What do I avoid? What's the best way to use these things - preheat, grease 'em, get non-stick, what's the best material for rings and handle .... ?

... Shel

you also might find egg 'squares' I have a set brought back from Spain, with individual lids for making an egg sandwich on standard square loaf bread. you oil the pan, add the square, drop in an egg, cover with the lid and wait.

you use a large spatula to slide the whole thing off the grill/pan, place on you bread/toast, then remove the squares.

here are modern examples:

http://www.amazon.com/Winco-Stainless-Steel-Square-each/dp/B002BGGP2S

cant find lids!

Depending upon how you like your eggs, you may wish to consider baking them rather than frying. Silicon muffin (or other shape) pans, if sprayed with pan-spray, work very well for this purpose. In the oven, you'll get even cooking and don't have to worry about flipping. You can also make several at once.

Depending upon how you like your eggs, you may wish to consider baking them rather than frying. Silicon muffin (or other shape) pans, if sprayed with pan-spray, work very well for this purpose. In the oven, you'll get even cooking and don't have to worry about flipping. You can also make several at once.

Worth thinking about. Baking may satisfy me ... it's certainly healthier. Never cooked with silicon ...

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

I use small aluminum pans I got at Sur La Table. I don't see them on their website, but I'm not sure what category they'd fall into. They look like mini-cake pans. They're just slightly larger in diameter than a Thomas' English Muffin and are about 3" high. They can be used for other purposes too, like making your own English muffins.

Incidentally, I've also found that standard ramekins are the perfect diameter for baking eggs for biscuits (regular size, not the breakfast sandwich size).

Incidentally, I've also found that standard ramekins are the perfect diameter for baking eggs for biscuits

So, how do you get the egg out of the ramekin without damage to the egg? If I want to put a slice of ham and some cheese on the egg, will the ramekin idea still work?

... Shel

Incidentally, I've also found that standard ramekins are the perfect diameter for baking eggs for biscuits

So, how do you get the egg out of the ramekin without damage to the egg? If I want to put a slice of ham and some cheese on the egg, will the ramekin idea still work?

First, spray the ramekin with cooking spray. Then crack an egg into it and break the yolk (stir slightly). Season the top and either bake it until firm, or nuke it for 30 seconds (yeah, I know, but you're going to hide it in a biscuit). Let it rest while you find and tear off a piece of wax paper. Then invert the ramekin onto the wax paper with a 'tump'. It should come right out.

Adding ham to either top or bottom should not cause a problem as long as you've greased the vessel. I've even bunched up paper-thin ham slices under the egg.

Cheese should work too, but I don't really like the texture of layering real cheese on egg. Instead, I prefer the American Cheese-Type-Stuff-Slices that will melt readily upon being put between the hot egg and biscuit - into a sort of McHollandaise..

McDonald's shows how to make an Egg McMuffin at home ....

http://lifehacker.com/5974825/mcdonalds-shows-you-how-to-make-an-egg-mcmuffin-at-home

I suspect that's a Jumbo egg he's using since I've found that one Large egg isn't really enough. Two Larges are a bit too filling.

But, that's very similar to my version and is much better than you can get at your typical McD's.

Worth thinking about. Baking may satisfy me ... it's certainly healthier. Never cooked with silicon ...

You can use a regular muffin pan or ramekin or tempered glass cup, just oil or spray with pan spray. I like silicon because it's easy to pop the final product out of and, because it's an insulator, you don't tend to get dark sides. I hate silicon for everything except eggs, custards and cheesecake.

I would not heat the ham and cheese with the eggs. The ham will dry out in the oven and probably release water into the egg making them watery and hard to cook. The cheese also interferes with the egg cooking, it will be hot and runny making unmolding difficult, and, it can be heated simply by putting it on the muffin as soon as the muffin is done toasting.

Thanks for this query. In my deep dark past, I must have made hundreds - nay thousands - of Egg McMuffins while toiling under the Golden Arches and always meant to try a home version.

I ordered these egg rings and found them perfectly functional. I need to work on the cooking time to get it the way I like but I'm looking forward to that research :raz:. Sorry for the blurry phone pix.

egg ring 1.jpgegg ring 2.jpg

I like the concept of the Egg McMuffin, but I do not like the MacDonald's execution.

Shel_B, what is it that you don't like about the McDonald's execution? For me, it's the hard cooked yolk. I worked there before salmonella in eggs was a common concern and we always cooked them to have an oozy but not totally runny yolk so that's what I'm going for. And maybe some other variations - a layer of sauteed, chopped spinach perhaps? What's your goal?

Good point. The muffins on the last one I had (LAX, terminal 5, last week) seemed not to have been toasted at all!

Edited to add: I have a general complaint about pale toast in most restaurants but with english muffins, it's even worse.

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)

Good point. The muffins on the last one I had (LAX, terminal 5, last week) seemed not to have been toasted at all!

Edited to add: I have a general complaint about pale toast in most restaurants but with english muffins, it's even worse.

I, too, like nicely toasted English muffins. I had my first McMuffin around 1978 or so, and I have NEVER had one that was toasted to any degree of crispness, and many seemed totally untoasted.

... Shel

Ive only had two. BTW take them home, and microwave for 30 sec. seems sacrilegious, but with a little char these piping hot ones from the micro w melted cheese are somewhat addicting. try two. they will stay with you a long long time!

:blink:

Ive only had two. BTW take them home, and microwave for 30 sec. seems sacrilegious, but with a little char these piping hot ones from the micro w melted cheese are somewhat addicting. try two. they will stay with you a long long time!

:blink:

Taking them home and cooking them seems to defeat the purpose of going to a fast food joint. If I'm going to all the time and trouble of doing that, it's far easier to make the McMuffins at home with better ingredients done "my way," as well as cheaper.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

Shel_B, what is it that you don't like about the McDonald's execution? For me, it's the hard cooked yolk. I worked there before salmonella in eggs was a common concern and we always cooked them to have an oozy but not totally runny yolk so that's what I'm going for. And maybe some other variations - a layer of sauteed, chopped spinach perhaps? What's your goal?

Mostly the flacid, minimally if at all toasted English muffin, the lack of choice as to how the yolk is cooked, and the excessive amount of salt. I can also do better with the ham, choosing from numerous options, such as a nice, low fat Black Forest ham, or a thick piece of Niman Ranch ham steak. My goal is to eat a McMuffin that I enjoy.

... Shel

Will you be baking your own English muffins? If so, the same round rings used for your EMs will make the perfect, round egg patty. They're made of metal and cost just a couple $ each: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/english-muffin-and-crumpet-rings

A tuna can, ends and label removed, well washed, might give you the same effect for free.

Will you be baking your own English muffins? If so, the same round rings used for your EMs will make the perfect, round egg patty. They're made of metal and cost just a couple $ each: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/english-muffin-and-crumpet-rings

A tuna can, ends and label removed, well washed, might give you the same effect for free.

Doubtful that I'll make my own muffins, although those rings are the perfect size and will allow me the option to use them for baking and as egg rings. Might be worth thinking about.

It's been a long time since I've seen a tuna, or any other can for that matter, that has a bottom that can be cut with a can opener. And, as someone pointed out in another thread, many cans today are lined with material containing BPA. I think I'll stay away from tuna and other cans.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel