• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Citrus peeler for cocktails

Kent Wang

Cooks Illustrated ranked a pretty cheap Kuhn Rikon vegetable peel as their top pick, and while it cuts very easily, it doesn't really get a thick enough peel to properly express the oils. The OXO Y-Peeler is my favorite for getting peels to "pop" on top of a cocktail. That said, I try (and usually fail) to replace it regularly, because when it gets dull, it can start to be a safety hazard.

• 2 weeks later...

Most quality cocktail bartenders of which I'm aware use either a peeler, for speed, or a knife, for flexibility and precision. I lean knife: sometimes you just want that citrus oil for flighty first impressions, and sometimes you want pith for slow, steady commitment. Having said that, behind the stick, I'm slow.....

You can't get pith with most peelers, and I understand that, in a busy environment, you want the flashy intro. But if the night is languorous, a knife is the way to go. (Please push any Dexter references from your mind.)

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts