• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

CantCookStillTry

CantCookStillTry

I have had such a terrible day. I will edit and add a photo later if I can stomach it. I'm using this as some kind of catharsis - as my husband said I have been a right B---- since it happened - and he is right! 

I wanted to make a curry, a Lamb Rogan Josh, as it is his favourite. I went out and tracked down the correct ingredients, Saffron, Kashmiri Chili powder, Mace (couldn't find Asafoetida for love nor money - perhaps that was my down fall?. I bought a leg of lamb, boned, defatted cubed it, marinated in the richest Greek yogurt I could find. I don't have a coffee grinder so I pounded the cinnamon bark and cardamon all by hand to make my spice mix. I followed the recipe to a tee and got... 

A purpley grey mess that looked so unappetising and so far removed from the picture on the website that I was legitimately scared to test it. But we did, and as Hub said - "how can something you put so many spices in taste of ... nothing". 

Now if I am being really honest, this wasn't even today's only failure. I tried to make him Naan Bread. I don't know why, I avoid anything bread like - I know I am terrible at it no matter how closely I follow instructions. It is my kryptonite. I am assuming that today issues were caused by my oven not being hot enough, not stretching the breads out enough and maybe overworking when incorporating the Ghee. 

On hearing my swearing, my husband came to investigate and well - he P***ed himself laughing. His exact words "Well - we still need to finish the retaining wall... please don't hit me with one I'll die". 

I'm going back to my slump. It's cheaper. :$9_9

Such High Hopes20180324_165805.thumb.jpg.fb0db26f70fe0f3be64f923cfeb370a3.jpg

Such Effort

20180325_141024.thumb.jpg.8d8782c665bc63d88cacbbceaf333c0a.jpg

Such DogFood!

The 3 hours in the fridge have not helped - it appears to have ... solidified. 

20180325_185028.thumb.jpg.eefc2c0de0c8b8e0e8f09de0af012a8a.jpg

I have opened prettier tins for the puppers. xD

Curry from scratch is back on the Can't Cook Shouldn't Try list. 

CantCookStillTry

CantCookStillTry

I have had such a terrible day. I will edit and add a photo later if I can stomach it. I'm using this as some kind of catharsis - as my husband said I have been a right B---- since it happened - and he is right! 

I wanted to make a curry, a Lamb Rogan Josh, as it is his favourite. I went out and tracked down the correct ingredients, Saffron, Kashmiri Chili powder, Mace (couldn't find Asafoetida for love nor money - perhaps that was my down fall?. I bought a leg of lamb, boned, defatted cubed it, marinated in the richest Greek yogurt I could find. I don't have a coffee grinder so I pounded the cinnamon bark and cardamon all by hand to make my spice mix. I followed the recipe to a tee and got... 

A purpley grey mess that looked so unappetising and so far removed from the picture on the website that I was legitimately scared to test it. But we did, and as Hub said - "how can something you put so many spices in taste of ... nothing". 

Now if I am being really honest, this wasn't even today's only failure. I tried to make him Naan Bread. I don't know why, I avoid anything bread like - I know I am terrible at it no matter how closely I follow instructions. It is my kryptonite. I am assuming that today issues were caused by my oven not being hot enough, not stretching the breads out enough and maybe overworking when incorporating the Ghee. 

On hearing my swearing, my husband came to investigate and well - he P***ed himself laughing. His exact words "Well - we still need to finish the retaining wall... please don't hit me with one I'll die". 

I'm going back to my slump. It's cheaper. :$9_9