• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Convert Egg Substitute to Whole Eggs

Shel_B

I came across a recipe that calls for using an "egg substitute" for whole eggs. I don't really know what an egg substitute is, but in any case, I'd like to use whole eggs to replace the substitute. How many eggs equals how much egg substitute? Thanks!

... Shel

Can you put it in context?

That'll surely help ensure helpful advice.

~Martin

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

The thing that comes to my mind is Egg Beaters -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egg_Beaters , but as Lisa points out, there are different varieties on the market.

Shel -- this link explains more about egg substitutes: http://vegetarian.about.com/od/vegetarianvegan101/f/eggsubstitute.htm

Edited by SobaAddict70 (log)

There are several types of egg substitute depending on the type of recipe. What is the recipe for? What makes this particular recipe so special that you don't just use another one that features real eggs?

Since I don't now anything about "egg substitutes," I certainly didn't know there were different types.

The recipe's not particularly special - it's just for baked salmon cakes - but I was curious about how to convert an egg substitute to whole eggs. It might come up again. Otherwise, it's a simple recipe like many others. I could easily find another, similar recipe, I'm sure.

Anyway, the recipe just says to use 1/4 cup egg substitute ... no further info about what type.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

Yeah, Mjx is probably right.

It doesn't sound like you want to use the powdered stuff from a box in there, nor would you use the concentrated applesauce type in that recipe. (there are also dry and wet mixtures of ground flax seeds, and Eggbeaters -and probably a few more that I don't know about)

Thanks to all for the education about egg substitutes. I didn't know ...

ETA: I looked up Egg Beaters as an example, and it appears that it's just vitamin and color enhanced egg whites, certainly not appropriate for all situations but good enough, perhaps, for a binder, as in the salmon patties. However, for a lot less $$ I can just use egg whites should I want to go that route, and feed the yolk to my cat. Yolks are great nutrition, and great treats, for cats.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

Large eggs average 2 ounces by weight and one would probably be around a quarter cup by volume. For salmon cakes, I'd imagine that one large egg would work fine.