• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

BBQ 'trays' for on the grill

rotuts

I've become interested in BBQ ‘trays’ now that I’ve fired up Ancient Weber, I pulled out this:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=12268084

Its a 12” BBQ Skillet I got a long time ago an rarely ( i.e. never ) used. Having done a few BCC’s, I put some Tater Tots on this and they came out spectacularly! The left overs ( so few ) were excellent for breakfast or as a cold snack.

I went looking for something a little more space efficient ( i.e. rectangular ) and found these at Sur la Table:

http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-901124/Sur-La-Table-Stainless-Steel-Grill-Grids

Pretty interesting went to look: they are way over priced and oddly flimsy.

Anyone ever found an item like the circular pan mentioned at the beginning but rectangular? I know BB&B they used to have have a deeper version that was rectangular.

Many thanks!

I used this one

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-Style-6435-Professional-Grade-Grill/dp/B000WEIIOE/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1367515465&sr=8-4&keywords=grill+pans

Certainly sturdy. Also this one

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-6434-Professional-Grade-Vegetable-Basket/dp/B000WEIJUW/ref=pd_bxgy_lg_img_y

I have been very happy with the quality of anything Weber.

BB&B seems like an unusual place to shop for BBQ equipment to me, but I haven't been in a while. I've had more luck at home improvement stores, like Ace, Lowes, or (shudder) Home Depot. A word to the wise, though, be careful buying wood chunks there because many I've seen are moldy.

ETA: Tater tots on a grill? That's a new one! I'm going to have to try that. Direct or indirect?

Edited by Ttogull (log)

Frankly, I'm not a fan of nonstick cookware used on a grill, as grilling exposes the NS surfaces to higher temps and more direct heat than your typical stovetop NS skillet. I do use enameled cast iron cookware on my grill; skillets/braisers, gratin dishes, etc. In a pinch, I'll use disposable alumnium foil pans or craft my own "pans" out of heavy duty foil.

I put the tots in my circular pan in the middle/side R and do the BeerCanChicken on the L

the back and front burners are on the middle off so that the fat from the Ck drips down and does not burn.

so a bit of the circular pan is 'on' ; and the middle 'off' cover down when everything set.

350 for the chicken about 1 hr 20 min. the tots take about 45 - 55 depending on your desired of crispy ness!

make more than you think you might need. delicious cold the next day.

Edited by rotuts (log)

the Weber 11 x 17 shallow is on The Way!

many thanks for this info. I did call Weber, as the various sizes for this varied on line. I needed to make sure it would fit my

Vintage Weber. Id forgotten how polite and helpful they are. No need to take a Hammer to those Eggs, but ... in this day and age ....

Im confidant that it might fit a full bag of TJ's Tots! and two BBC chickens on the other areas. maybe some Smoke?

after all , Tots are a Veg! just not green.

:huh:

The Weber as above is just what I needed. It arrived today. its much sturdier than the Sur-La-Tables and cheaper!

on my Antique Silver Genesis the top does not completely close ( 1/4 " ) in the up-down orientation but no big deal.

still room for at least 2 BCC's

I've been using perforated aluminum trays which are about a buck or two to smoke almonds and other items. May not stand up to 600-800f but at lower temps like 300 or so they work really well and can be used many times over

Check out TJMaxx if there is one near you. I bought 2 large porcelain glazed trays from them two weeks ago and they worked great. $15 each...couldn't beat the price.