• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cheese (2008– )

gariotin

One of my father's favourites, and mine is Port Salud. Scored a piece that was factory-sealed in shrink plastic so it is unlikely to mold before Christmas. There just isn't enough turn-over here for a good cheese selection.

• Like 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

I love traditional Port Salud, but it's rare even in France. Nearly all is now industrially made and nothing like the original. The monks who originally made it sold the trademark in the 1950s.

You can read the history on the Spruce Eats but take anything it says with a bucket of salt. They claim that it

originated in the Loire Valley, in a Trappist monastery in the Brittany region of France, during the middle of the 19th century.

That would be amazing given that the Loire Valley isn't in a Trappist monastery anywhere! It isn't even in Brittany, at all. It is east of Brittany.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Haha 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

6 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I love traditional Port Salud, but it's rare even in France. Nearly all is now industrially made and nothing like the original. The monks who originally made it sold the trademark in the 1950s.

You can read the history on the Spruce Eats but take anything it says with a bucket of salt. They claim that it

That would be amazing given that the Loire Valley isn't in Brittany, at all. It is east of Brittany.

Brittany? 😆 They got the river and the region wrong. It’s in the Mayenne valley (in the Loire region), not the Loire valley.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port-du-Salut_Abbey

https://www.portdusalut.fr/et-le-fromage/

3 hours ago, FrogPrincesse said:

They got the river and the region wrong. It’s in the Mayenne valley (in the Loire region), not the Loire valley.

Indeed. The Spruce Eats is riddled with errors and self-contradicts itself over and over again. I was reading something earlier where it claimed that broccoli isn't grown in China (in an article written by a  Chinese-American). China is by far the largest producer of broccoli in the world!

And they claim that Sichuan is China's largest province. It isn't.

It is particularly weak on Cheese, listing only a handful, and then getting them wrong!

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

• 3 weeks later...

My contributions to this evening's cheese plate (someone else is bringing a Brie, a blue and a washed rind).

The Snowdonia Ruby Mist is the only new cheese for me. I normally would have chosen a Classic Oka but decided this one at the cheese counter.

NYE2023Cheeses.thumb.JPG.a38995b90aabc71503386e6e5703efd4.JPG

• Like 2

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot