• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Katie Meadow

Katie Meadow

spelling error

On 4/8/2022 at 1:57 PM, kayb said:

It breaks my heart to hear that Early Girl did you so poorly. When I was there 10 or so years ago, it ranked as one of the top two or three breakfasts I'd ever had.

For lunch, or that matter dinner, Tupelo Honey is (or WAS) good. I think it started in Asheville, but has since franchised across the South. We ate at one of the brewpubs, can't recall which, and the ploughman's lunch was good. One dinner was an Indian place -- which I recall as good -- and the other was at a tapas place, which was excellent. Can't recall either name.

Highly recommend the winery tour/wine tasting at Biltmore. Not to mention the mansion tour. I lust after that library.

I ate at Tupelo Honey a few years ago when I was last in Asheville. Liked it, will try again. I do have a hankering for fried green tomatoes, but sadly my experience is they are usually too thickly breaded and the crust overwhelms the vegetable. Maybe the fried green tomatoes of my dreams is really fried green tomato tempura. In the north Georgia hills there seems to be a thing for a fried green tomato BLT, but in Asheville and Decatur I don't see it on menus. They prefer chicken and/or avocado in their BLTs, neither of which I care for. 

There is an Indian Street Food place that gets good reviews called Chai Pain including a shout out from the NYT recently. We will def try that. They opened a branch in Decatur, too, and my daughter said it was good. The tapas place you are thinking about may be Curate. Well reviewed and it seems to be the most expensive place in downtown Asheville. It's among my options for a splurge dinner, but not sure. We haven't decided to celebrate our anniversary here or in Atlanta with the kids. The babies do awfully well at beer gardens, but taking them to Miller Union in Atlanta  might tax their patience. They eat everything, including moderately spicy red beans and rice but after an hour they're falling face first into their gumbo.

My husband just came to tell me he sees snow flurries from the living room window here in Asheville. Two days ago it was 80 degrees. East coast weather, go figure.

Katie Meadow

Katie Meadow

18 hours ago, kayb said:

It breaks my heart to hear that Early Girl did you so poorly. When I was there 10 or so years ago, it ranked as one of the top two or three breakfasts I'd ever had.

For lunch, or that matter dinner, Tupelo Honey is (or WAS) good. I think it started in Asheville, but has since franchised across the South. We ate at one of the brewpubs, can't recall which, and the ploughman's lunch was good. One dinner was an Indian place -- which I recall as good -- and the other was at a tapas place, which was excellent. Can't recall either name.

Highly recommend the winery tour/wine tasting at Biltmore. Not to mention the mansion tour. I lust after that library.

I ate at Tupelo Honey a few years ago when I was last in Asheville. Liked it, will try again. I do have a hankering for fried green tomatoes, but sadly my experience is they are usually too thickly breaded and the crust overwhelms the vegetable. Maybe the fried green tomatoes of my dreams is really fried green tomato tempura. In the north Georgia hills there seems to be a thing for a fried green tomato BLT, but in Asheville and Decatur I don't see it on menus. They prefer chicken and/or avocado in their BLTs, neither of which I care for. 

There is an Indian Street Food place that gets good reviews called Chai Pain, including a shout out from the NYT recently. We will def try that. They opened a branch in Decatur, too, and my daughter said it was good. The tapas place you are thinking about may be Curate. Well reviewed and it seems to be the most expensive place in downtown Asheville. It's among my options for a splurge dinner, but not sure. We haven't decided to celebrate our anniversary here or in Atlanta with the kids. The babies do awfully well at beer gardens, but taking them to Miller Union in Atlanta  might tax their patience. They eat everything, including moderately spicy red beans and rice but after an hour they're falling face first into their gumbo.

My husband just came to tell me he sees snow flurries from the living room window here in Asheville. Two days ago it was 80 degrees. East coast weather, go figure.