• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bergamot Oranges in Marmalade

Panaderia Canadiense

Here's a question for you oh-so-wonderful and knowledgable eGulleteers.

I have a quantity of Bergamot oranges, which I would like to incorporate into my next batch of marmelade. Does anybody have any idea at what point they'll overwhelm the flavour of my Seville oranges? I've got about a dozen really nice, big Sevilles, and about 20 small Bergamots (they're about the size of Key limes).

Alternately, does anybody have any suggestion as to what else to do with Bergamots (besides make orange pie with them, of course)? Ideally I'd like to preserve them in some fashion....

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

I often put the juice and very finely cut peel of 1 large Bergamot into a batch of seville orange marmalade. One batch for me is about 3-4 lbs oranges and yields approx 5 8-oz jars of finished product. Do you plan on only one batch? Y0u could see how it tastes with a modest quantity and then if you want more bergamot flavor try a second batch with a bit more. It's a potent flavor and if you end up with bergamot marmalade there may be a very select following only.

Try a twist of bergamot peel in a martini, although that won't use up a lot of fruit.

Well, I've got a batch that's 15 large Sevilles to 20 small Bergamots on to soak at the moment. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

And in other news, it looks like I'll be able to experiment quite a bit with Bergamots - my friend just called me, and he's got about 100 lbs of them for me: his plantation has overproduced, and since he's growing the plants for their leaves (he's an essential oil producer) they're free.

Well, I've got a batch that's 15 large Sevilles to 20 small Bergamots on to soak at the moment. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

And in other news, it looks like I'll be able to experiment quite a bit with Bergamots - my friend just called me, and he's got about 100 lbs of them for me: his plantation has overproduced, and since he's growing the plants for their leaves (he's an essential oil producer) they're free.

Bonus!

I've got purchased candied bergamot in the fridge - use the peel chopped up in an white chocolate truffle center. The combination of bergamot and black pepper with white chocolate is amazingly good.

So if I had them - I'd try candying.

Where are you, jrshaul? I'm in Ecuador, and have a friend with trees, so supply isn't an issue for me. If you're in the US, I'd start looking at the high-end food shops. If you're in California, contact the California Rare Fruit Growers' Society - they'll know.

Where are you, jrshaul? I'm in Ecuador, and have a friend with trees, so supply isn't an issue for me. If you're in the US, I'd start looking at the high-end food shops. If you're in California, contact the California Rare Fruit Growers' Society - they'll know.

I'm in Wisconsin, so I'm likely out of luck.