• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

weinoo

weinoo

Yes - white jasmine - try to get stuff from Thailand - easily available. White Japanese. I have been also trying some partially milled Japanese rices; I really like them, but they're a little tougher to find, a bit more expensive, well worth it.

This California Haiga is partially milled, so has the benefits of brown rice, without the annoying old hippie, health-food store aspect. I really an amazed at its texture and flavor, but I can't vouch for the IP methods; I use my rice cooker. Remember to wash, drain and not use too much water - very close to even amounts of rice and water. 

image.thumb.png.a43b37f0b5e62ac06bb336bca7af0070.png

Haiga-mai rice, on the other hand, undergoes a special milling process that removes the bran but not the germ, giving it the fast cooking time, tender texture, and easy digestibility of white rice while retaining the nutritious germ of brown rice. Also called semi-polished or half-milled rice, haiga-mai is the best of both rice worlds!

Available...here (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

weinoo

weinoo

Yes - white jasmine - try to get stuff from Thailand - easily available. White Japanese. I have been also trying some partially milled Japanese rices; I really like them, but they're a little tougher to find, a bit more expensive, well worth it.

This California Haigai is partially milled, so has the benefits of brown rice, without the annoying old hippie, health-food store aspect. I really an amazed at its texture and flavor, but I can't vouch for the IP methods; I use my rice cooker. Remember to wash, drain and not use too much water - very close to even amounts of rice and water. 

image.thumb.png.a43b37f0b5e62ac06bb336bca7af0070.png

Haiga-mai rice, on the other hand, undergoes a special milling process that removes the bran but not the germ, giving it the fast cooking time, tender texture, and easy digestibility of white rice while retaining the nutritious germ of brown rice. Also called semi-polished or half-milled rice, haiga-mai is the best of both rice worlds!

Available...here (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)