• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

weinoo

weinoo

7 hours ago, dtremit said:

I'm not adding much here that others haven't mentioned — but in normal times, the three types of rice we always have on hand and use frequently are a Thai jasmine (not always the same brand, but always one with the Thai hom mali green seal), Tamaki haiga, and a good aged Indian basmati. (For basmati I'm not sure I've settled on a favorite brand, although I've never had a bad experience with Tilda.)

For those three, we use one of these containers acquired on Amazon that have rice cooker measuring cups incorporated into the lid:

61WBB2XcVIL._AC_SX679_.jpg

We generally have a bunch of other miscellaneous rice varieties on hand — arborio, bomba, Thai glutinous, and a few brown rices — most of which I don't honestly use that often. (Right now we have Tamaki Gold in place of the haiga as it was the closest I could buy the last time I went shopping.)

I have never managed to fall in love with brown rice, though I adore haiga. The only exception is Lundberg's "Jubilee" blend, which I have had trouble sourcing lately. I don't entirely understand this; I prefer most *other* grains as unprocessed as possible.

One interesting unusual rice is Thai "riceberry" — which is a hybrid of black jasmine rice. I've liked it more than a lot of other brown rices, though I do prefer it in a blend.

So it appears that the cup attached to that lid for cat food rice storage is marked for 180ml (the standard Japanese gō rice cup size), but it's actually larger than that. I really have trouble measuring when I have to eyeball the line, and much rather prefer a cup, which when full holds the 180 ml amount.  Actually, I much prefer weighing rice.

The Haiga is great stuff. 

And brown rices, at least the long and short grain ones I remember from my health-food conscious years in California, kinda sucked.

weinoo

weinoo

6 hours ago, dtremit said:

I'm not adding much here that others haven't mentioned — but in normal times, the three types of rice we always have on hand and use frequently are a Thai jasmine (not always the same brand, but always one with the Thai hom mali green seal), Tamaki haiga, and a good aged Indian basmati. (For basmati I'm not sure I've settled on a favorite brand, although I've never had a bad experience with Tilda.)

For those three, we use one of these containers acquired on Amazon that have rice cooker measuring cups incorporated into the lid:

61WBB2XcVIL._AC_SX679_.jpg

We generally have a bunch of other miscellaneous rice varieties on hand — arborio, bomba, Thai glutinous, and a few brown rices — most of which I don't honestly use that often. (Right now we have Tamaki Gold in place of the haiga as it was the closest I could buy the last time I went shopping.)

I have never managed to fall in love with brown rice, though I adore haiga. The only exception is Lundberg's "Jubilee" blend, which I have had trouble sourcing lately. I don't entirely understand this; I prefer most *other* grains as unprocessed as possible.

One interesting unusual rice is Thai "riceberry" — which is a hybrid of black jasmine rice. I've liked it more than a lot of other brown rices, though I do prefer it in a blend.

So it appears that the cup attached to that lid for cat food rice storage is marked for 180ml (the standard Japanese gō rice cup size), but it's actually larger than that. I really have trouble measuring when I have to eyeball the line, and much rather prefer a cup, which when full holds the 180 ml amount.  Actually, I much prefer weighing rice.

The Haiga is great stuff. 

And brown rices, at least the long and short grain ones I remember from my health-food conscious years in California, kinda sucked.