• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

KennethT

KennethT

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

Not 100% surprising to me.  But do you "decant" from the large sack into smaller, vacuum sealed packages? It's what I've done with Thai and Basmati rices I've bought in those big sacks. I think it keeps the rice fresher, and also in case of bugs.

There are actually 2 bags in the large sack.  The outer woven one is really just to protect the inner one.  The inner bag is a translucent plastic bag.  We keep a large glass jar in the pantry which is what we go to on a regular basis.  Once it gets low, we refill it from the big bag, and then reclose the big bag's inner bag tightly with a twist tie.  The big bag actually sits on the floor in the middle of the living room, right up against the tent where it's out of the way.

20201129_122032.thumb.jpg.f002e86d73660a45b86908e1808f9fe5.jpg

KennethT

KennethT

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

Not 100% surprising to me.  But do you "decant" from the large sack into smaller, vacuum sealed packages? It's what I've done with Thai and Basmati rices I've bought in those big sacks. I think it keeps the rice fresher, and also in case of bugs.

There are actually 2 bags in the large sack.  The outer woven one is really just to protect the inner one.  The inner bag is a translucent plastic bag.  We keep a large glass jar in the pantry which is what we go to on a regular basis.  Once it gets low, we refill it from the big bag, and then reclose the big bag's inner bag tightly with a twist tie.  The big bag actually sits on the floor in the middle of the living room, right up against the tent where it's out of the way.