• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

heidih

heidih

2 hours ago, KennethT said:

Pre-pandemic, we started buying larger quantities of jasmine rice - the type we use most commonly...

20201129_085232.thumb.jpg.598182733f12c1074b1a079cdfbc99b7.jpg

Not only do we not run out as fast, but I find the large sack is different than the jasmine available in the smaller 5# bags - it cooks up fluffier using the same technique.  My theory is that the smaller bags sit around longer while most of the sacks we've gotten lately are labeled "new crop".

Same large "new crop" sack when I was cooking for more folks. Stacked high at front of markets. We did not have 4-legged poachers so I just kept the sack in the walk-in pantry. with a bowl sitting on top to.o sort of close it since that sack material unravels. 

heidih

heidih

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

Pre-pandemic, we started buying larger quantities of jasmine rice - the type we use most commonly...

20201129_085232.thumb.jpg.598182733f12c1074b1a079cdfbc99b7.jpg

Not only do we not run out as fast, but I find the large sack is different than the jasmine available in the smaller 5# bags - it cooks up fluffier using the same technique.  My theory is that the smaller bags sit around longer while most of the sacks we've gotten lately are labeled "new crop".

Same large "new crop" sack when I was cooking for mo.pre folks. Stacked high at front of markets. We did not have 4-legged poachers so I just kept the sack in the walk-in pantry. with a bowl sitting on top to.o sort of close it since that sack material unravels.