• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Michael Yoon

Food Safety Question

The other day I prepped 2 lbs of short ribs to try the momofuku 48 short rib recipe. The ribs I had gotten from the market were frozen. I had let thaw on my kitchen counter for a couple hours before putting them in the fridge for another 4-5 hours. At which point they the marinade went in and they were vacuum sealed. The meat was not completely thawed through.

At this point the meat went into the water bath @ 136.5F, about 15-20 minutes into the cook my SideKIC got all wonky. Sufficed to say I had to pull the meat and not knowing what else to do with it, threw it in the freezer. In the end the meat had been on my counter for a couple hours, in the fridge for another 4-5, and in the water bath for approximately 20-30 minutes.

Question is, assuming the meat stays in the freezer up to a week, would it be safe to defrost and attempt to sous vide? or another cooking method (braise maybe)? or is isafe to eat all or is it just trash at this point?

Edit: If it matters, meat is frozen in marinade, two separate bags each with six 3-4 ounce chunks of meat w/bone.

Edited by Michael Yoon (log)

From a food safety perspective you are probably fine, I'd be more concerned about the texture of repeated frozen and thawed meat.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Beef is pretty resilient safety-wise. The fact that it has been in marinade makes me more confident that the environment has been reasonably cold, salty and acidic and would inhibit bacterial growth.

I don't care for refreezing raw meat if it has thawed out already. You lose a lot of juices that way and end up with a dry mealy product. Since it was semi-thawed... Might as well give it a try though. Report back and discuss any quality issues.

OK. Got a question. I took a package of chicken breasts out of the freezer and put them in the fridge to thaw about 10 days ago, and forgot them. They're in a vacuum sealed package. Safe or not safe?

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

My immune system is a beast, so I usually just use the "sniff test." I'm very sensitive to off-flavors in poultry, so microbial safety is usually less of a practical issue for me than palatability. So if you're feeling frisky, I'd say give it a sniff and roll with it. But caveat eater. I probably wouldn't serve it to my grandmother or kid sister.

• Like 1

lol

Sniffing doesn't detect everything and the strongest immune system on earth won't stop a toxin that has built up in the food.

But its a good start.

• Like 1

When in doubt......

Chicken is cheap enough.

• Like 3

Ten days is really pushing it. 

• Like 1

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

I think a big factor is how cold your fridge is.

i keep mine at maximum cold.  Recently I put a frozen chicken in the garage fridge and three days later it was still rock solid.

(I like my beer cold.)

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, lindag said:

I think a big factor is how cold your fridge is.

i keep mine at maximum cold.  Recently I put a frozen chicken in the garage fridge and three days later it was still rock solid.

(I like my beer cold.)

No joke! This is a rule I also follow. People should have a thermometer in their oven, but they should also have two in their fridge -- one on the top and one on the bottom shelf. And you should organize it so that perishable foods that can contaminate things (like raw meat) are physically lower in your fridge so that they only "contaminate downwards." It's the "trickle down" theory of fridge safety. Anyway, double check that your fridge is actually cold where you plan to store your food, and keep it as cold as you can without things freezing.

Edited by btbyrd (log)
  • Like 4

The other thing to consider is the state when you originally froze it. If it was reasonably fresh (not near its use by date) and the store where you got it keeps it displayed & stored at close to freezing and you didn't wait too long before you vacuum & froze and you kept it cold from when you purchased it, then it maybe fine. Maybe.

If you go ahead and use it, and you stop posting we will know you probably shouldn't have. 😀

Personally, I wouldn't use it.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, kayb said:

OK. Got a question. I took a package of chicken breasts out of the freezer and put them in the fridge to thaw about 10 days ago, and forgot them. They're in a vacuum sealed package. Safe or not safe?

Please let us know how this turned out.

OK. I'm cowardly. Since I didn't cook it tonight....I'm tossing it.

• Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 4/23/2019 at 8:10 PM, kayb said:

OK. I'm cowardly. Since I didn't cook it tonight....I'm tossing it.

10-days-in-the-fridge uncooked chicken... that wasn't cowardly, that was smart.

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.