• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What to do with unleavened biscuit dough?

Crouton

Halfway through rolling out biscuit dough it hit me I used AP flour instead of my go-to White Lily self-rising flour. Rather than toss it I wrapped it up in plastic and stuck it in the fridge and started over. Is there anything I can do with this ball of flour, butter and buttermilk? Can I roll it out and make fried pies or something else? I hate to waste it.

Self raising flour = normal flour with baking powder. I suppose you could mix some baking powder into your dough but you would need to mix it really well!

There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

You could probably roll very thin, then cut in strips or shapes and deep fry, sprinkle with powdered sugar, or do Greek style with honey syrup and chopped nuts and cinnamon.

Or you could try layering it with bits of butter, like a mini puff paste and use it for a pastry.

Self raising flour = normal flour with baking powder. I suppose you could mix some baking powder into your dough but you would need to mix it really well!

That might not be a good idea since mixing it really well will develop gluten and that wouldn't be a good thing. Well, at least not for biscuits. Perhaps add some yeast instead and go for a Chicago style pizza dough.

Try rolling it out very thin, cutting into diamonds, sprinkle with kosher salt and maybe some dry herbs and bake to make crackers. Docking may or may not help them.

This sounds interesting. Not sure I'm familiar the term docking tho?

You could probably roll very thin, then cut in strips or shapes and deep fry, sprinkle with powdered sugar, or do Greek style with honey syrup and chopped nuts and cinnamon.

Or you could try layering it with bits of butter, like a mini puff paste and use it for a pastry.

I like this. This is a better option for using this dough.