• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thermometer Usage. How Should I use it to measure properly?

skyhskyh

Hello,

Firstly, I am thinking to buy a good thermometre, this one seems quite handy and quite good. Recommened by Modernist Cuisine Site

Any people here have used it and has any feedback to give? good or bad or some tips...

Secondly, the other things I would like to ask is about how to use thermometre in general.

There are some situations I can think of that I wanted to test out, e.g. how hot is the oven I am cooking my food in, how hot is the steamer cooking the food...

The problems I am concerned is, is it suitable to place the whole thermometre inside the oven, close the lid, after a while, open it and check the oven temperature? Same goes with steamer, is it suitable to throw in the whole thermometre in, steam it, and check temperature later?

Will the plastic or whatever material the thermometre is made of melt? Will it break the thermometre?

Thirdly, if it is not suitable to throw in the thermometre, then what steps I can go about in order to measure accurately about those temperatures?

Thanks in advance

There are different thermometers to measure different sorts of heat. An oven thermometer will measure heat in the oven, up to (usually)about 500 degrees f. You'll generally bake @325 degrees. A probe thermometer, as shown in your link, measures the heat in the food being cooked, such as roast meat at 125 degrees. Unfortunately, one size does NOT fit all !

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

One trick to make a food thermometer do double duty as an oven thermometer is to put a ramekin with a cm of oil in the oven. After time to come up to temp take the temp of the oil which will = oven temp.

The original thermometer you linked to can be used to take the temperature of oil, you just need to be careful to just keep the plastic part out of the oil. Its range is: -67to 572F/-55 to 250C, deep frying temps fall well withing that range. (the brief description at the top of the listing is wrong, check the product details)