• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Adapting Cheesecake recipe for smaller pans

Louise

Hello,

I would like to know what is the 'rule' for adapting cheesecake recipes to smaller pans? I am interested in making 15cm or 16cm or 18cm or 20cm baked cheesecakes. Most recipes I find are for 24cm pans, and would like to know how can I scale down a recipe to fit smaller different sized pans. How does it affect the recipe for the crust and filling? And furthermore, how does the 'rule' work for cakes as well?

Thank you,

Louise

I make a cheesecake every now and then from The Professional Pastry Chef. The recipe states that it will make 2 25cm cakes, or 4 17.5cm cakes. The only difference is the baking times, the smaller ones obviously bake a little quicker. I've made both sizes with the same result, just keep your eye on them.

Don't think there is a 'rule' since you are dealing with the volume of a cylinder.

The 'formula' is: 3.14 X one half the pan diameter X one half the pan diameter again X the depth of cheescake. In other words Pi times the radius squared times the depth which calculates the volume of a cylinder.

I've done the math for various 3 CM deep cheesecakes.

24 CM = 1356.5 cubic CM = 1

20 CM = 942 cubic CM = .7

18 CM = 763 cubic CM = .56

16 CM = 603 cubic CM = .44

15 CM = 526.5 cubic CM = .39

Thus, using the 24 CM diameter cheesecake as the norm you would use 0.7 (or 70%) of the amount of ingredients to make a 20CM cheese cake at 3CM deep.

Obviously if the depth is other than 3 CM you have to redo the calculation. Fortunately, the ratios still hold so all you have to do is recalculate the volume of the 24 CM cheesecake for the new depth then apply the factor above.

Fairly simple math, but what else should I be doing on a hot afternoon in France.