• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Home-made Cotton Candy Floss

Peter the eater

Recklessly, I volunteered to make cotton candy floss (from scratch) for my kids' birthday party next week.

Who needs the $50/hr rental machine?

My twins will be 7 and, by the way, where does that time go?

Edited by Peter the eater (log)

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

or you can buy this one:

http://www.bedbathan...sp?SKU=17592912

for $40. I have used it ALOT with hard candies and it never fails to make excellent cotton candy. You really should check it out.

If you do want to make home made cotton candy, Sugar Baby http://www.amazon.com/Sugar-Baby-Confections-Candies-Delicious/dp/1584798971/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340515453&sr=8-1&keywords=sugar+baby has recipes for it, and you can see an example on it's cover. I tried it and its alot messier than the machine.

Edited by dhardy123 (log)

By the way, the reason I asked how many will be there is because it might be worth it to just do it by hand if its not a large crowd, unless you really want to have a cotton candy machine. The method for making spun sugar in Notters "Art of the Confectioner" is considerably less messy then the usual way of flinging sugar between two dowels.

Also, if you do get the machine, make sure you use some new candy that hasn't started to crystallize. In some of the reviews for the machine, a few people said it didnt work at all with their hard candy, but I suspect that the outside of the candy they had started to crystallize, and then of course it wouldnt be able to melt and spun properly.

Thanks for the ideas.

Twenty or so kids, and I would like to go the messy machine-less way.

Judging that book by the cover, Sugar Baby looks spot on.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack