• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

John's Premium Tonic Syrup

weinoo

After reading a little essay in Saveur about this stuff, I'm a bit intrigued.

From the website:

Since 2008 I have served this recipe at Tuck Shop, the restaurant I run here in Phoenix Arizona, with tremendous response.

Has anyone had the pleasure of trying it?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I'm a fan. It's good stuff. Really good.

I like that it is a syrup and the concentration can be adjusted depending on what you're making. I dilute with San Pellegrino. Decent complexity and depth of flavor. To be fair, I was just a Schweppes guy before this and had only tried a few other craft tonics before trying this stuff. It costs about the same (or maybe less than) the Schweppes that I used to buy in little glass bottles. Considerably cheaper than most of the other competing tonics out there, if you can even find them. Also doesn't hurt that the Tuck Shop/Astor House where John works is about a mile from my place in Phoenix and he's a really nice guy. After all this cheerleading, know that it's still just tonic. But it's really good tonic. It probably won't change your life (but I suppose it's possible). Definitely worth it in my book and has a place at my bar. Just checked out his website and I'd suggest splitting an order with somebody else (or just stocking up for yourself) since shipping is consistent up to 4 bottles.

I just picked up a bottle of Bitterman's Commonwealth, which is their tonic syrup at proof.

I tried a barspoonful last night with Tanqueray and club soda: I was hoping it would be a little less sweet, but I was too tired to really focus on the finer points of taste, will have to experiment more tonight . . . .

It'd be interesting to have someone with access to John's do a comparison between these syrups and the high-end bottled brands like Q and Fever Tree. Anyone willing, in the name of science?

"The thirst for water is a primitive one. Thirst for wine means culture, and thirst for a cocktail is its highest expression."

Pepe Carvalho, The Buenos Aires Quintet by Manuel Vazquez Montalban

• 2 weeks later...

My order of John's Tonic syrup arrived in yesterday's mail.

I was so eager to try it, I love a good gin & tonic.

Disappointed, to say the least. Just not my idea of what tonic should taste like.

I'll stick with Schweppes.

My order of John's Tonic syrup arrived in yesterday's mail.

I was so eager to try it, I love a good gin & tonic.

Disappointed, to say the least. Just not my idea of what tonic should taste like.

I'll stick with Schweppes.

What gin are you using? What proportions of gin, tonic syrup and club soda did you use?

Tasty Travails - My Blog

To begin with, I love the taste of the regular Schweppes-like tonic water. I'll even drink it straight, I love the 'bite' that it has.

That's probably why I don't care for John's. It has an off-taste for me; something medicine-like.

I mixed my drink as the container directed, going a little heavy on the Tanqueray.

To begin with, I love the taste of the regular Schweppes-like tonic water. I'll even drink it straight, I love the 'bite' that it has.

That's probably why I don't care for John's. It has an off-taste for me; something medicine-like.

I mixed my drink as the container directed, going a little heavy on the Tanqueray.

Of course something medicine-like is what real tonic is made from!

Tasty Travails - My Blog

I got mine in the mail today: it's too early for a G&T, but I love tonic water straight so went ahead and mixed up a glass. Unfortunately, this is not tonic water.

DSC_1988.jpg

The taste itself is fine: as a beverage in its own right it's not bad. It has an interesting molasses-like smell with floral notes on the palate. Unfortunately, it is far too sweet, and not nearly bitter enough, to be considered tonic water, in my opinion. Although the ingredient list and color seem to indicate a fair amount of cinchona bark (and thus quinine), either there is just not enough in there, or there is simply too much agave syrup. I am a big fan of Fever Tree tonic (my favorite) but also really enjoy Q. This is not even comparable, it's too far removed from the taste of a standard tonic water. Maybe it works with gin to make a drink you can call a Gin & John's, but you're not going to get yourself a Gin & Tonic with it.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I did not notice that with my shipment.

Since I don't really like this stuff and will never use it, I'd be happy to send my 3.75 bottles to someone for the cost of shipping.

Contact me.

I got my oreder of the Fever Tree Tonic today and tried it this evening...while I like it very much, to my taste I can't discern any difference from Schweppes, but that's just my taste. I won't re-order because it tastes the same to me. Your taste may vary.