• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best corn for making microwave popcorn, & tips

Shel_B

The paper bag method isn't that good. Without some way to intensify the heat, you're not going to get a good result. There's a popcorn thread someplace here on eG about it. The Presto Power Pop works much better and gives you virtually no unpopped kernels. I gave up on paper bags over a decade ago.

As for corn, I've been growing my own. Tried Dakota Black from Seeds of Change last year, it's good.

(edit) I also forgot to mention that brown paper bags today are made from recycled materials that can contain plastics, heavy metals and all sorts of other non-food-safe chemicals which can cause toxic fumes to form when heated. The paper bag isn't safe unless it's a white, food grade one made for food preparation.

Edited by Lisa Shock (log)