• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grape juice and cranberry juice "caviar": troubleshooting

MrDelicious

Sounds like a high calcium level in your juice. Try dropping the straight juice into an alginate bath. If the result isn't as stable as you'd like, add a little calcium (lactate, gluconate, lactate/gluconate... calcium chloride is fine for the bath but please don't use it in the part that is to be eaten) to the juice and try again.

Edit: If the juice needs more body to drop in the alginate bath without difficulty, add a little xanthan gum.

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Thank you. Today I tried white wine with the same recipe and it worked better.

However, tasting a spoonful of the "caviar" left a less than desirable pasty film in my mouth.

I did wonder about dropping the caviar right into an SA bath just to see what would happen, given that it gelled up so bad.

I also could have removed them from the CC bath sooner, I suppose but they seemed pretty fragile

for a while so I kept them in there until they stiffend up some.

I've never had any professionally made "caviar". Is the liquid center supposed to be fresh and clean tasting

as if nothing was added, or is there always a "gel" feel/taste to it?

All of these things are appealing to me visually but if the taste of all these wonderful creations

leave a gooey feel in your mouth, I wouldn't see the real benefit beyond a visual experience.