• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best-quality/favorite basmati rice

Soup

@Katie Meadow and @Alex ...Lundgren?  I'm sure you meant Lundberg rice.

I've been using various Lundberg rice products occasionally for many years, and while their standard white and brown rice offerings are acceptable, their basmati and jasmine rice choices are down at the bottom of my list.

FWIW, a really nice brown rice, if you're inclined that way, is that from Massa Organics, available at the Berkeley and possibly Oakland farmers' markets.  

https://massaorganics.com/product/organic-brown-rice

I also recommend Koda Farms Organic Kukuho Rose Whole Grain Brown Rice

https://www.kodafarms.com/our-branded-products/

• Like 1

... Shel

2 hours ago, Shel_B said:

@Katie Meadow and @Alex ...Lundgren?  I'm sure you meant Lundberg rice.

I've been using various Lundberg rice products occasionally for many years, and while their standard white and brown rice offerings are acceptable, their basmati and jasmine rice choices are down at the bottom of my list.

FWIW, a really nice brown rice, if you're inclined that way, is that from Massa Organics, available at the Berkeley and possibly Oakland farmers' markets.  

https://massaorganics.com/product/organic-brown-rice

I also recommend Koda Farms Organic Kukuho Rose Whole Grain Brown Rice

https://www.kodafarms.com/our-branded-products/

FYI Koda Farms is going out of business. Perhaps there are other growers of Kokuho Rose Rice. Koda is packing up shop after almost 100 yrs growing that CA rice variety. 

12 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

FYI Koda Farms is going out of business. Perhaps there are other growers of Kokuho Rose Rice. Koda is packing up shop after almost 100 yrs growing that CA rice variety. 

Wow! That's a surprise.  Thanks for the info.

... Shel

This is our variation of the Dishoom method for cooking Basmati rice. We use Tilda as it always gives consistent results.

We cook a batch and freeze whatever is left over for Ron.

Dishoom Basmati Rice (Stephanies Favourite Rice)

This is a lengthier process than some rice cooking methods, but the end result will be perfectly fluffy rice, with each grain intact.You will need a large pan with a lid (which is only used in Step 6)

Serves 4

Ingredients

360g basmati rice

2 teaspoons fine sea salt

A generous squeeze of lime juice, or 1 tablespoon spirit vinegar

25g unsalted butter (optional, but recommended)

Method.         

Fill a large bowl with cold water and gently add the rice. Move the rice around with your hands to help release the starch, let the rice settle to the bottom. Pour out the water and repeat this process until the water is clear (usually 3 to 4 times) cover the rice with fresh, cold water and leaves to soak for one hour.

Bring  3 litres of water to the boil in a large pan and add salt and lime juice or spirit vinegar. Bring to the boil

Cut, a piece of foil large enough to comfortably cover the top of your pan.

Drain the rice and add it to the boiling water. Cook, stirring regularly until almost done: this should take 4 to 5 minutes and the rice should still be slightly firm in the centre.

Tip the rice into a sieve immediately; don’t shake off all the excess water. Return the rice to the still-hot pan, shake the pan gently to create an even layer, then dot with butter, if using. Place the foil over the top of the pan and tightly crimp the edges around the edge of the pan. Place pan over high heat, until you see the foil dome up (inflate a little), about one minute.

Position the lid to seal. Turn off the heat and leave to stand, covered, for 15 to 30 minutes before serving.                      

Edited by Tempest63 (log)
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2024 at 4:53 PM, Shel_B said:

Wow! That's a surprise.  Thanks for the info

Katie's statement left a lot open to interpretation! They are retiring and I'll miss the chick peas they used to bring to farmers markets (used for crop rotation iirc) but the rice isn't going away they sold the rights to a local guy who started as a Mexican immigrant laborer and grew to own the company. 

I  was worried about it at first too

Call me skeptical. In my experience new owners rarely maintain the quality of the original, especially when the original was a long-standing family operated business.

The last four family operated businesses with which I've had experience suffered greatly at the hands of their new owners.  I'd love to be wrong in this case.

... Shel