• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What to do with this stock/essence?

cteavin

I made my usual chicken stock yesterday (11 pounds chicken, 5 pounds veal/bones). After straining I took the chicken meat off the cooling bones and the notion hit me to reboil the bones in water to take off the little flakes of meat still on the bones. The result was an extra cup of flaked meat and 2 liters of flavorful liquid. I thought about it, added liter of water to that liquid and put all of the other chicken meat I'd collected back into the pot and brought it to the simmer for about 20 minutes. The result is 3 liters of chicen essence/broth in addition to the six liters of stock I'd already made. The latter gelled perfectly, the former is gelatinous. I'm not really sure what to do with it though. Any suggestions?

A couple of ideas I had:

1) Reduce to a demi-glace (would the lack of gelatin make a difference in the final reduction?).

2) Keep it on hand and use it as I would the stock (perhaps using a mirepoix before?).

3) Adding gelatin sheets and freezing it.

What would you do with it?

What you made is known as a remoulage in French. I like to use it where you would normally use water, cooking rice for example. A full stock with rice is too intense and makes it seem like chickeny rice, a remi makes it taste like normal rice, but better. Beans, lentils & other grains which absorb water also work, you could even do it with pasta.

PS: I am a guy.

Also, with my most recent stocks, I've been experimenting with cooking the stock at a sub simmer (~170 - 180F) for 6 hours or so and then doing a remi in the pressure cooker. To my palate, the low temp stock tastes less "wet" and cooked and preserves more of the roasted flavor while the PC stock has more stewy flavors.

PS: I am a guy.

Remouillage.

I always do it too. First I make a chicken stock, in a big pot, then I transfer the bones to a tiny pressure cooker I have and barely cover with water, some scallions and ginger. As you noticed this stock is more gelatinous but also milkier and less flavourful. I usually keep it for soups, especially vegetable soups where I would cut the stock with water because otherwise too intense and I don't want a strong chicken flavour. Also good to freeze in cubes to add to sauteing vegetables or meat.

remoulage. There's a name for everything -- thankfully. ;-)

This particular remoulage is exceptionally strong as I added the chicken meat, reboiled, then strained. It's as strong as the stock but without the dimension from the veal, vegetables, herbs. Still, I think using it in place of water is a good idea. I think I'm going to freeze it in one cup ziplocks and use it as I need it.

Any other suggestions are welcome.