• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Substitution in Bulgur Bread?

Wholemeal Crank

One of my favorite bread recipes from Flatbreads and Flavors is Nane Casoke, or bulgur bread. You take some bulgur, soak it in 2 parts boiling water with a bit of salt and chopped onion for 30 minutes, mix that with flour to make a workable dough, and then roll out thin breads (as thin as you can get given that the bulgur won't flatten too much) and bake directly on stones or bricks in the oven. I bake them to a soft chewy texture, and they're lovely with soups, cheese, even applesauce.

Today I'm wondering how they might taste with other grains substituted for the wheat, and that brings up the question: how to prepare another grain to function like the bulgur in this recipe? Would it work to just start with rice or barley or quinoa cooked to 'normal' eating texture, or is there anything else special about bulgur processing that might be important to the final result?

I'd be leery of trying whole barley, but if you can get cracked barley you should be able to treat it exactly as you would the bulgur, right down to the soak in boiling water. I'd also be aware that barley used in this context is a bit bitter, and you might want to adjust/add sugar to the recipe accordingly. I'd try it with small batches; I've found that cracked barley will rehydrate, but your results may vary.

Quinua should definitely be cooked first - I like my rice cooker for this, since it never overcooks my grains. Simply soaking it won't soften the seed coatings sufficiently (I found this out the hard way when experimenting with the grain for my multigrain breads. It won't even soften with more than 3 hours in slack dough.) Rice is likely the same thing.

One thing that might be interesting to try are cracked sorghum or buckwheat groats.... Oooh, now I have to go experiment!

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Today, I've set up some amaranth in the rice cooker as a first experiment, and we'll see how it goes.

I know bulgur is precooked, so I assume whatever grain I put in should also be precooked, but especially with barley or oats, am wondering how to get a cracked-equivalent texture to the cooked grain: assuming now that the food processor will risk pureeing a fully cooked soft grain, but it would be pretty awkward to have to cook, dry, then attempt to break up the grain too.

With quinua and amaranth, the natural explosion of the grains as they cook should provide you the exact texture you're after; with barley it's why I suggested looking for grains that are cracked to begin with.

You could also experiment with parboiling the cracked barley/oats and drying the result - then you'll have the barley/oat equivalent of bulgur which you can then treat the same way.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

• 1 month later...