• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sodium in Bread? Home baked vs store bought?

rotuts

articles such as this one are making the rounds today:

http://healthland.time.com/2012/02/08/top-10-sources-of-salt-in-your-diet/

this comes from a CDC report.

I was somewhat surprised. i used to bake bread regularly but not at the moment. most of the bread i use for toast/sandwich/pasta-related comes from this bakery Nashoba:

http://www.slowrise.com/

I get the version they sell to trader joes as its the same as their sourdough just a buck cheaper for some reason as its delivered frozen and defrosts overnight on the shelf.

it has 340 mg sodium/50 grams ie 4080 mg sodium/loaf at 21 oz.

if you bake your own, what is the sodium/baked loaf that you make ie the sodium ( not NaCL ) per loaf and the weight of the backed cooled loaf?

its a certain amount of work to figure this out but Im interested in restarting my baking not for the above but because 'its about time'

Im thinking of going with the "Five minute loaf" thread.

some time ago in CA there were many locally baked sourdoughs to choose from in the bay area. one was from Nancy Silverton La Brea bread, baked locally and sent frozen to these stores. it was better than the others, and I noted it had more sodium in it.

Im only curious about the Home Loaf. it may be similar to commercial or not. if it is then one cuts down on the sodium elseware.

thanks

PS 1 tsp 'salt' = 2400 mg sodium

I looked this up:

the last breads I used to bake came from "THe Best Bread Ever" by Chas. Van Over

a loaf 'wet' came to 815 grams (water and flour) and had 10 gms of salt ie 4000 mg of sodium

this was 'wer' not baked.

thanks

http://www.saltinstitute.org/About-salt/Salt-FAQs

[...] A simple summary is that about six grams of salt makes a level teaspoonful and just under 2.4 grams is sodium. This is exactly correct for salt with a density of 1,217 g/L. Based on a salt density of 1,250 g/L, one level teaspoon contains approximately 6,200 mg NaCl and approximately 2,400 mg sodium.

Based on the above, the bread recipe I've created through trial and error happens to use 12 grams of Kosher salt (which is a different density than table salt); or, salt is at a baker's percentage of 2%.

The "wet" weight of my bread is approx. 1,075 grams, and the final baked weight usually comes in at an even kilo...

I assume that the total amount of sodium per loaf is in the neighborhood of 4,800 mg.

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

If I'm figuring this right, my homemade bread has 2.4 gm of sodium per 475 gm of wheat flour. I am and have been watching my sodium consumption, but suppose that anything bought pre-made will have a ton. Which is part of why I bake bread.