• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trader Joe's Bacon Ends

Shel_B

I buy big cryovac packages of bacon ends at the restaurant supply store because they are cheaper than perfectly shaped regular bacon. They are the pieces left over after they cut the perfectly shaped pieces of belly for bacon. In my experience they are many different lengths and many different thicknesses, so they may be more of a challenge to cook in the microwave than regular bacon, due to the different cook times for different thicknesses. I only use the ends diced up for flavor in dishes, not as a side for eggs. They are mighty cheap, sometimes only $1/pound.

From my experiences, Trader Joe's Bacon Ends are just really tiny pieces of bacon - about 1" x 2.5" or so. They're great for carbonara, and should work fine in your oven.

Yup, this. Spread them on a cooling rack over a half sheet pan and bake. The pieces are not so tiny that they will fall through. Good flavor too. I tend to use bacon as an ingredient, like with pasta, so it usually gets cut into little pieces anyway, so this is a good deal.