• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Food Profiles

Chris Amirault

To me, the classic is John McPhee's "Brigand de Cuisine," the 1979 New Yorker profile of "Otto," chef and owner of a small restaurant in upstate NY. (You can find it in his collection Giving Good Weight, though it has dozens of typos.) What's your favorite written food profile? Links are particularly appreciated.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Bill Buford's take on Mario Batali, "The Secret of Excess" (also in the New Yorker) evolved into the best-selling Heat, but the book (which admittedly is less about Batali and more about Buford) wasn't as focused, energetic or evocative as the original:

. . . one of my last recollections is of Batali around three in the morning -- back arched, eyes closed, an unlit cigarette dangling from his mouth, his red Converse high-tops pounding the floor -- playing air guitar to Neil Young’s “Southern Man.” Batali had recently turned forty, and I remember thinking that it was a long time since I’d seen a grown man playing air guitar. He then found the soundtrack for “Buena Vista Social Club,” tried to salsa with one of the guests (who promptly fell over a sofa), tried to dance with her boyfriend (who was unresponsive), and then put on a Tom Waits CD and sang along as he went into the kitchen, where, with a machinelike speed, he washed the dishes and mopped the floor.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.