• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Cookbooks Will Be Under Your Tree?

ChaiLatte

I've flicked through the Lutece cookbook, but as it was just a bunch of recipes with no narrative and no pictures (as far as I remember, this was a while ago) I didn't go for it. I don't know who do-able the recipes are either I'm afraid.

I have the Lutece book, although I have never cooked from it - one day.... I've dug it out from the shelves and had a good look. It is one of those lovely, solid Alfred Knopf books, published in 1995, the likes of which don't get produced any more. The food is very much classic French cuisine - I fancy a gussied up version of the kind of food I associate with Wilfrid - with an Alsatian influence as that is where Soltner came from, together with signs of having lived in America for many years.

I think it is a lovely book. OK, it isn't the kind of lifestyle production you get from Artisan these days (Keller, Ripert et al) but I think all the better for it. There is plenty of introduction giving you a good background to his career and outlook and most recipes have an introductory paragraph. An honest, serious book with a whole chapter on charcuterie, one on Alsatian dishes and, without having cooked them, the recipes look well written and practical for the home cook. Only a few photos of the chef throughout his life but some attractive pen and ink drawings to brighten the text.

v

I have the CIA book.  Current (7th) and previous (6th) editions, both.  Trust me.  Get the Pepin book.  I'll explain later.   :cool:

I concur. I have the CIA book, I have La Varenne Practique, I have Pepin. I have Madeline Kamman's (which was the text for my school). All of which are supposed to be comprehensive (more or less) collections of classic techniques. I'd absolutely say get Pepin, because it's the best, AND the cheapest. But it's nice to flip back and forth and compare each of them.

Without a doubt, New Pro Chef is the least useful to me, as well as the least friendly. It looks impressive on my shelf, I suppose.

I received "The Cook's Bible" by Chris Kimball (the man is a machine!) and a beautiful book called "The New Way To Cook." It's by a woman but I can't remember her name. I also received "The Sopranos Cookbook," which is more coffee-table. Artie Bucco is a great "chef" on HBO, but I don't know if I have confidence in the recipes. BTW, does anyone else have this book and if so, have you tried any of the recipes?

Noise is music. All else is food.

• 8 months later...
so, christmas is over...and i didn't get the cookbooks i wished for. from reading on egullet, several were on my list:

dornenburg/page: "culinary artistry"

pepin's "complete techniques"

c.i.a.: "the professional chef"

the dornenburg book seems to be a must-own....

Just a reminder that Andrew Dornenburg and Karen Page are online for an eGullet Q&A right now.