• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

to add links

Hey @Alex, obviously, I'm not rancho_gordo but I think it would be OK for me to share the recipe that was included in the recent email newsletter from Rancho Gordo.  It sounds really good and I'm dying to try it.  No detail on the bean cooking spec but this should at least get you started:

Coconut Brown Rice and Beans (From Rancho Gordo March 25 eNewsletter)

Note: to make the dish more Caribbean, you may wish to add some fresh, minced habanero chile.         

Serves 4 as a side dish

3/4 cup cold water
3/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
1-inch piece Rancho Gordo canela
3 cloves
1 cup Massa Organics Whole Grain Brown Rice
1 teaspoon Rancho Gordo Sal de Mar sea salt
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger 
1 cup cooked Rancho Gordo Domingo Rojo beans
Cilantro or watercress for garnish (optional)

In a pan, add the water, coconut milk, canela and cloves. Bring to a boil and then turn off heat, allowing it to steep for 20 minutes. Strain, reserving the liquid and discarding the solids. 

In a medium saucepan, add the rice, the reserved liquids, salt and ginger and bring to a full boil. Allow to boil for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to very low and cover. Cook for 45 minutes, undisturbed, until the rice has absorbed the liquid. Turn off heat and allow to rest for 10 minutes.

Fluff cooked rice with a fork and gently add the beans and cilantro or watercress, if using.

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

Hey @Alex, obviously, I'm not rancho_gordo but I think it would be OK for me to share the recipe that was included in the recent email newsletter from Rancho Gordo.  It sounds really good and I'm dying to try it.  No detail on the bean cooking spec but this should at least get you started:

Coconut Brown Rice and Beans (From Rancho Gordo March 25 eNewsletter)

Note: to make the dish more Caribbean, you may wish to add some fresh, minced habanero chile.         

Serves 4 as a side dish

3/4 cup cold water
3/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
1-inch piece Rancho Gordo canela
3 cloves
1 cup Massa Organics Whole Grain Brown Rice
1 teaspoon Rancho Gordo Sal de Mar sea salt
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger 
1 cup cooked Rancho Gordo Domingo Rojo beans
Cilantro or watercress for garnish (optional)

In a pan, add the water, coconut milk, canela and cloves. Bring to a boil and then turn off heat, allowing it to steep for 20 minutes. Strain, reserving the liquid and discarding the solids. 

In a medium saucepan, add the rice, the reserved liquids, salt and ginger and bring to a full boil. Allow to boil for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to very low and cover. Cook for 45 minutes, undisturbed, until the rice has absorbed the liquid. Turn off heat and allow to rest for 10 minutes.

Fluff cooked rice with a fork and gently add the beans and cilantro or watercress, if using.