• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for a great chocolate tart dough recipe

pastrygirl

My chocolate tart dough always seems dry. I like the cocoa flavor and it performs well and holds its shape well, but it's missing something in texture. It is a somewhat soft and sticky dough. Should I use more butter? Melted dark chocolate instead of cocoa powder? Hydrate the cocoa in hot water? Use only egg yolks? What do you think?

1 lb butter

9 oz powdered sugar

2 tsp vanilla

3 lg eggs

22 oz AP flour

3-3/4 oz cocoa

salt

Thanks!

I use it for various sizes of smaller individual tarts. It would probably make 3 9" tarts. I need something that doesn't shrink or slide down during blind baking tastes amazing and melts in your mouth. I have an almond tart dough recipe that I really like, to compare the two, for a pound of butter and an ounce more sugar the almond has an extra egg, 6 oz more flour, and 8 oz almond flour. Maybe I should bake it and turn it into a crumb crust.

I like the recipes for chocolate sucree in both Rose Levy Beranbaum's Pie and Pastry Bible and the one in Sherry Yard's first book. The RLB one doesn't shrink, has a nice texture and has granulated sugar as well as cocoa, powdered sugar, butter and a whole egg. I can roll it out or press it into the tart pan. I want to say that the Sherry Yard recipe handles equally as well, but is on the dry side compared to the RLB one. Both books as well as our recipe bible are at work. I'll bring them home tomorrow and post a comparison.....