• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Proof Box Help

KaffeeKlatsch

I understand the basics of how a proof box works. You can control temperature and humidity while proofing doughs. I have one at my disposal and am supposed to show students how to use it. It's only been used as a hot box in the past, but is a proof box. No one knows where the original paperwork ended up, so no directions. I have Googled and can't find directions. Just links on how to improvise your own at home.

Can someone tell me how to operate a basic proof box? Can you use it to speed up the rising time?

As you can probably guess, I am not a baker beyond basic home baking. Baking has, however, been added to the program I teach and I'm trying to wing it/self-teach. I have my students for 3 hours at a time, so I'm trying to figure out how we can complete a bread making lab in one day. Of those 3 hours, I usually lose 30-60 minutes between changing clothes, late buses, and because they're teenagers.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Magi

Can't help you with the proof box, but I'm teaching a basic yeast baking class to adults right now. 2.5 hours isn't sufficient to do much start-to-finish baking in class, so I figured out a few workarounds. In the first class, we focus on mixing, kneading, proofing, and shaping basic white sandwich bread. It allows students to get their hands into the dough, and they brought home the shaped breads to bake in their own ovens. (Alternatively, you could bake the breads after class and the students can pick them up later.)

For tonight's class, the students will start off learning to shape a lean dough (I made the dough yesterday; "classic french bread" from Reinhart's Artisan Breads Every Day). Then, they'll shape a sweet braided, filled bread dough I made yesterday (it is the raspberry filled braid from Hensperger's The Bread Bible & required an overnight rise), which has a second rise of just 45 minutes. While the shaped loaves rise, we will mix a low-yeast, stretched & folded french bread dough. Once mixed, the dough goes into a rising bucket & is refrigerated for up to 4 days. Again, they can take it home or if you see them again within the 4 days, they can do the shaping/baking within the 4 day window. Third objective for the class is to discuss wild yeasts & begin a wild-yeast sourdough culture.

In the third class, we'll do an enriched focaccia, again from Hensperger, that takes just 1 hr 45 minutes, so we'll do it from start to finish in class. Will also do pizza shaping.

All of this is a long-winded way of saying that you can combine kneading, shaping, and baking in the same short class if you pre-make some of the dough. Let the students mix & knead the dough, then have the same dough premade at later stage. They can move on to shaping & then you can have some lecture time while the shaped dough proofs.

Good luck...

What's the manufacturer name, model number, etc.? Is it hooked up to a water supply?

What is your text? Many professional resources will give desired proof temperatures and humidity %, or timing on steam for each formula. It's a lot like using the oven; you can make generalized statements about various types of doughs and how to proof them, but, each individual formula will give specific details.

Most proof boxes run like ovens, you just set the temp and humidity knobs and wait til the readout is where you need it to be. But, every manufacturer has different controls, so, it's hard to say.

Also, since it hasn't really been run properly, you might want to have it checked out to make sure the water line isn't calcified shut. Any equipment with a water line into it needs to be serviced regularly.