• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Duct tape in the kitchen

We all know that duct tape is a miraculous invention. I was able to happily take advantage of this treasure of a product today when I used the shoestring blade of my old mandoline for the first time. Quite sharp! As blood squirted I grabbed a paper towel to stop the flow and used my non injured hand to get the duct tape which is always in the kitchen junk drawer. The BEST bandage - it sticks, it is waterproof, and you can wrap it tightly to stop the bleeding.

Any other duct tape devotees? Any other kitchen uses we should know of? Eons ago I used it to hold the broken oven door closed in a new home pending oven replacement. It was Thanksgiving and I was the designated turkey lady.

The culprit

DSCN1093.JPG

No more duct tape for this woman...it's Gorilla Tape now. Like duct tape but much stronger and stickier. Costs more too. Get yourself some; you'll never regret it and you'll never go back to plain old duct tape.

And to list what I have done with it...would be easier to list what I haven't done with it. DH hates my way of repairing stuff. Buckshee he says. Done I say.

Go for it, Heidi.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I use duct tape to hold the "retaining bracket" on the bottom condiment shelf of my fridge. Seems that's all I can do as I couldn't get a replacement. Maybe I need to get Gorilla Tape as duct tape does need to be replaced every couple of months...

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I have a big bottle of superglue and a big bottle of catalyst. I can repair things in about forty seconds. As always, the R/C airplane hobbyists get advanced composites about six years before everyone else.