• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Monterey, San Fran and Napa Valley 2011

scubadoo97

After doing quite a few searches here at EG I found many post to be several years old.

My wife and I will be doing an 8 day trip which will start out in Monterey for 2 days then the Nappa Valley (staying in Calistoga)for 2 days and then finishing up in SF for 4 days.

Certainly this is a foodie area and lots of excellent choices. What are some of your favorite places? My wife loves sushi and we both love seafood. I figure we will hit some Mexican at some of the many markets. As a dedicated home cook we don't eat out a lot since home meals more often than not trump restaurant meals but this will be a week of eating out. Our food choices are varied except my wife doesn't eat pig. As well as those recommended where would you stay clear of?

I really liked Zuni Cafe in San Fran, I just ate there a few weeks ago and loved it. Also check out the Ferry Building for all sorts of high end products, while there you can eat at the Slanted Door. I also really liked Saison but it's pricey. I've heard a great deal of good things about Coi, this may be a better choice for high end meal in town.

I have simple tastes. I am always satisfied with the best - Oscar Wilde

The Easy Bohemian

If you like seafood than Passionfish in Pacific Grove is a very good option. You should give a few more hints for what type of food, price, ambience etc. you are looking for as there are many, many different options at all three locations.

I would consider Passionfish a moderately priced restaurant. Thanks for the suggestion. The big destination places like French Laundry,Gary Danko and others require advance bookings. With just two weeks to go these are most likely not an option. I'm looking for really good food and can splurge for some expensive meals as long as it's worth it. As I mentioned I cook a ton and we don't go out a lot so to splurge a few times a year is okay. I just want the food to be better than what I can do at home. Too often it's not. Hanging around EG too long.

Edited to add that we are staying in the Union Sq. area but not tied to the area.

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)

If you like seafood than Passionfish in Pacific Grove is a very good option. You should give a few more hints for what type of food, price, ambience etc. you are looking for as there are many, many different options at all three locations.

We ate at Passionfish the night before. It was good.

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

After doing quite a few searches here at EG I found many post to be several years old.

My wife and I will be doing an 8 day trip which will start out in Monterey for 2 days then the Nappa Valley (staying in Calistoga)for 2 days and then finishing up in SF for 4 days.

Certainly this is a foodie area and lots of excellent choices. What are some of your favorite places? My wife loves sushi and we both love seafood. I figure we will hit some Mexican at some of the many markets. As a dedicated home cook we don't eat out a lot since home meals more often than not trump restaurant meals but this will be a week of eating out. Our food choices are varied except my wife doesn't eat pig. As well as those recommended where would you stay clear of?

Of course there's this topic about San Francisco, which is far less than a few weeks old.

My wife and I just returned from a week in San Francisco, and I'll be posting more about our experiences there as I get my pix and notes sorted out. One of the best drinking and eating evenings we had started with Bar Agricole and then moved on to Beretta, where both the food and cocktail scene were just great.

We much enjoyed Sons & Daughters, and the Ferry Building was great as always. The oysters at Hog Island's outpost in the building, both cooked and raw, were some of the best we've ever had.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

My wife and I spent a few days in the Napa Valley recently. In Calistoga we loved JoLe which is located on the main street. I'd rate it as one of the best dinners I've had in a restaurant. Solbar is also very good. We enjoyed lunch there on a very sunny day after a string of rainy ones. It is located on the Silverado Trail but in Calistoga. It was a short, pleasant walk from Indian Springs resort where we were staying. We also loved Redd in Yountville, and ZuZu and Celadon in Napa. In Pacific Grove several years ago we had a great meal at a French restaurant called Fandango, which was located on the main street near Passionfish. You may have come across recommendations for a winery called Hess Collection near Napa. I second those recommendations. It is six miles west of Hwy 29 on Redwood Dr. or Rd. which crosses 29 by the Marriot hotel. You can go there for the wine, but the art collection on the second and third floors is worth the excursion. Enjoy your stay. It's pretty hard to go wrong in those places.

Of course there's this topic about San Francisco' date=' which is far less than a few weeks old.[/quote']

Missed this one. Thanks weinoo. Looking forward to your report on your trip.

Slo-ted, thanks for the recs. I am looking into Parretfish so maybe Fandango for the other night.

Keep em coming.

A favorite place in Carmel(among the chef's I work with, plus myself) is Cantinetta Luca. Always good.

Two places I like in downtown Monterey is Montrio Bistro, and Esteban, which serves tapas. The only thing that hasn't been good there is the paella, just to warn you :).

I've only eaten at Marinus at the Bernardus Lodge in Carmel Valley once, but it was very good.