• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Favorite Whisk

Kerry Beal

I have one useless silicone one (not silicone over metal) that flings sauces all over the kitchen when I try to use it.

My dad gave me this one for Christmas: http://www.kitchenandcompany.com/kitchen-tools/cooking-utensils/whisks/_/Mini-Saucinator-Whisk?tc=gfs13&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=Norpro%20Mini%20Saucinator%20Whisk&gclid=CIuNg8er1rwCFW1nOgoddGoAMg. I was planning to return it. Can anyone tell me why I should keep it?

For the same reason you're keeping the useless silicone whisk that flings sauces all over the kitchen when you try to use it?

Why keep either?

... Shel

Thought I'd bump this up. I'd like to get a whisk for mixing lemon curd, mainly because someone told me I could get smoother results using a whisk rather than stirring with just a spoon. Any suggestions for so specific a task?

I use this one it breaks up the clumps and give a smooth result without introducing air - as happens with a regular wire whisk.

I've used it in a pan with a flat bottom (double boiler) a round glass bowl over simmering water in a pot for larger batches and it gets into the "corners" of a regular pan and follows the contours of any bowl.

That's the strangest looking whisk I've ever seen ... you do have some interesting things ... Thanks for the suggestion!

• Like 2

... Shel

Thought I'd bump this up. I'd like to get a whisk for mixing lemon curd, mainly because someone told me I could get smoother results using a whisk rather than stirring with just a spoon. Any suggestions for so specific a task?

I use this one it breaks up the clumps and give a smooth result without introducing air - as happens with a regular wire whisk.

I've used it in a pan with a flat bottom (double boiler) a round glass bowl over simmering water in a pot for larger batches and it gets into the "corners" of a regular pan and follows the contours of any bowl.

That's the strangest looking whisk I've ever seen ... you do have some interesting things ... Thanks for the suggestion!

Here's what Wise Geek has to say about the ball whisks.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

An old fashioned whisk -- the only type my mom had -- but perfect for smoothing gravies and things like lemon curd without incorporating air. The action is up and down rather than round and round. http://www.kitchenandcompany.com/kitchen-tools/cooking-utensils/whisks/_/Whip-It-Whipper/?=

I've got my mom's and I found another at a garage sale. I glom on to them because they're scarce, so always on the lookout for this type.

An old fashioned whisk -- the only type my mom had -- but perfect for smoothing gravies and things like lemon curd without incorporating air. The action is up and down rather than round and round. http://www.kitchenandcompany.com/kitchen-tools/cooking-utensils/whisks/_/Whip-It-Whipper/?=

I've got my mom's and I found another at a garage sale. I glom on to them because they're scarce, so always on the lookout for this type.

Thanks ... Toots has one that's similar, and I've used it a few times. I could never figure out how the up-and-down motion worked with stirring and mixing curd. Toots uses her whisk a lot, so maybe I should get a lesson from her ...

... Shel

I have one useless silicone one (not silicone over metal) that flings sauces all over the kitchen when I try to use it.

My dad gave me this one for Christmas: http://www.kitchenandcompany.com/kitchen-tools/cooking-utensils/whisks/_/Mini-Saucinator-Whisk?tc=gfs13&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=Norpro%20Mini%20Saucinator%20Whisk&gclid=CIuNg8er1rwCFW1nOgoddGoAMg. I was planning to return it. Can anyone tell me why I should keep it?

For the same reason you're keeping the useless silicone whisk that flings sauces all over the kitchen when you try to use it?

Why keep either?

Thank you! It's going back to Wms-Sonoma this week and the useless one to Goodwill! I'll get one of my beloved silicone spoonulas!