• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I just tunnel boned a chicken...

Shalmanese

Nice! For those playing along at home, consult Jacques Pepin for a masterful and detailed demonstration of the technique:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAekQ5fzfGM

That was just a thing of beauty, I had never heard of this pepin guy, but I guess I'll be checking out some of his stuff, but that just made my day...

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them."

-Winston Churchill

You could do an Asian version of the ballotine, either roasting or deep-frying the bird. I've cooked this Asian stuffed roast chicken recipe, & it's tasty. Only the ingredients are listed on Googlebooks. The chicken is stuffed, then placed on a bed of onion, carrots, & celery, and roasted. The remaining ingredients are a glaze for basting the chicken as it roasts. I like to add a little brown sugar to the mix.

Here on Googlebooks, page 144:

http://books.google.com/books?id=hKx5s2iGcJEC&pg=PA144&lpg=PA144&dq=patricia+yeo+festive+roast+chicken+with+rice+and+mushroom+stuffing&source=bl&ots=pv-jDH4neN&sig=UK0QnM_vB1TBsJJX5vWe2R5MNrw&hl=en&ei=fpniTam8FOvKiALIipW6Bg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&sqi=2&ved=0CBYQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

For a ballotine, since you've got the chicken all deboned and flattened out like that, it's a nice touch to marinate the meat beforehand.

You could do an Asian version of the ballotine, either roasting or deep-frying the bird. I've cooked this Asian stuffed roast chicken recipe, & it's tasty. Only the ingredients are listed on Googlebooks. The chicken is stuffed, then placed on a bed of onion, carrots, & celery, and roasted. The remaining ingredients are a glaze for basting the chicken as it roasts. I like to add a little brown sugar to the mix.

Here on Googlebooks, page 144:

http://books.google.com/books?id=hKx5s2iGcJEC&pg=PA144&lpg=PA144&dq=patricia+yeo+festive+roast+chicken+with+rice+and+mushroom+stuffing&source=bl&ots=pv-jDH4neN&sig=UK0QnM_vB1TBsJJX5vWe2R5MNrw&hl=en&ei=fpniTam8FOvKiALIipW6Bg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&sqi=2&ved=0CBYQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

For a ballotine, since you've got the chicken all deboned and flattened out like that, it's a nice touch to marinate the meat beforehand.

The stuffing looks good. It's fairly similar to the one in the Ken Hom cookbook I learned the technique from. Hom does essentially the same steps as shown in the Pepin video, except that he doesn't split the skin down the backbone. He just works his way from the neck cavity, gradually turning the bird inside-out.

It's easier to do with a larger bird. I've done it many times with turkey. (With a smaller bird it's hard to do without tearing the skin.) It's great fun to serve a turkey that looks fairly normal but is completely boneless.

Acquire a set of Pepin's 'The Art of Cooking', still the best single reference to technique and recipes ever put into print. Besides leading you through the deboning process, step by step, there are various fillings for your chicken. Makes the common chicken into a gourmet dish.-Dick

Nice! For those playing along at home, consult Jacques Pepin for a masterful and detailed demonstration of the technique:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAekQ5fzfGM

Tunnel boning involves removing all the bones without breaking through the skin (except at the wingtips and legtips). Unlike butterfly boning, you end up with a tube of meat rather than a flat piece.

I ended up marinating it in a mix of cilantro, garlic, jalapeno, cumin, lime, rum & oil overnight, The next day, I made a mix of himalayan red rice, chipotle, pineapple & cilantro and stuffed it and then roasted it at 450F until done.

The tunnel boned chicken was easy to carve and juicy but I don't know if I would do it again, except as a technical exercise in butchery.

PS: I am a guy.