• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart

highchef

For Christmas I got a large silver cuisinart from bb&b. By feb. I had returned it because I'd be in the middle of something (pulsing, a bit) and it would just stop. I called the hot line, went through a litany of questions and the co. Told me to return it to the store. They in turn sent me a new one. It did fine at first, but then today it shut down just as I was adding ice water to a pastry dough. I finished by hand, but not until I had taken the thing apart, cleaned around gaskets, checked for proper connections, and that all was locked into place per usual.

Question? Has any one else had a problem with this? Its the pro with the 14, 11' and 4.5 cup bowls. I think they sell one larger at Williams sonoma, but besides that one, this was the largest model I found...I'm sure they make larger commercial models, but certainly a top of the line home machine should be able to handle a pie crust, yes?

Yes, it certainly should be able to handle a pie crust. When you return this one, I'd ask BBB for a KitchenAid instead. It's a better unit, imho.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I have the old square Cuisinarts - usually use the 20 cup for pastry, but the smaller ones have never given me any problems.

I've put a lot of tough stuff through them and except for buy a new blade from time to time (and a new lid when I broke the original) I've never had a problem with any of them.

The fact that this happened twice is a bit mysterious and that is a very light load for the motor.

Heck, I've just chopped a bunch of dates in mine and it did just fine and that is a sticky, dense batch of stuff.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I am not a fan of Cuisinart food processors. I had one and returned it very quickly for a KitchenAid.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I have the 16 cup from WS and it does pie crust fine. My biggest complaint is that there's too large of a gap between the lid and the shredding disc, which causes large slices of whatever your are shredding to go unshredded, usually spinning around on top of the disc.

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

I tried out the triple bowl Cusinart for all of 3 minutes then spent an hour cleaning it thoroughly, fitter it back in the box and took it back pronto. At first glance it made sense to have the different size bowls- small bowl for small quantity of food. But since you had to stack the bowls to do this all of the lower (without food in them) of them got dirty as well as the one that was actually used for food. Stupid design. Can't say I had it long enough to test motor power/performance.

Now have Thermomix and couldn't be happier

Llyn Strelau

Calgary, Alberta

Canada

I'm going to bring it back today. I guess I should look at the kitchenaids, after all, my mixer is my best friend. Thermomix as well. I think its odd though about this model that the same thing would happen twice. Mark, your model is nasically mine, with 2 extra cup cap.,and I have issues with that production gap as well. It doesn't matter how hard you press on the pusher, there's always a slice left spinning on top. The instructional dvd does not address much about any of this, I'm going to go on line and see if theres been a product recall first as I'm really bad about sending the warranty stuff back. Thanks