• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

When we moved to Costa Rica 34 years ago, if we wanted a product from the states, we had to go to a specialty store. And they were super expensive. Today, I would estimate that 30% of the products on the grocery stores are from the states or from Europe. I can't even estimate the amount of products that are US copycats. And many of the copycats are more expensive than the imported products. A recent example that I saw was 12 oz of Walmart brand bacon for $8. A comparable brand of Costa Rican bacon was about $13. A package of Kraft Macaroni and Cheese was about $1.10. A comparable brand of the Costa Rican copycat, which I have to admit is delicious and much better, is about $2.

Editing note:

When I dictated this, instead of Kraft Macaroni and Cheese it came up with crapped macaroni and cheese which I thought was quite appropriate.

When we moved to Costa Rica 34 years ago, if we wanted a product from the states, we had to go to a specialty store. And they were super expensive. Today, I would estimate that 30% of the products on the grocery stores are from the states or from Europe. I can't even estimate the amount of products that are US copycats. And many of the copycats are more expensive than the imported products. A recent example that I saw was 12 oz of Walmart brand bacon for $8. A comparable brand of Costa Rican bacon was about $13. A package of Kraft Macaroni and Cheese was about $1.10. A comparable brand of the Costa Rican copycat, which I have to admit is delicious and much better, is about $2.

When we moved to Costa Rica 34 years ago, if we wanted a product from the states, we had to go to a specialty store. And they were super expensive. Today, I would estimate that 30% of the products on the grocery stores are from the states or from Europe. I can't even estimate the amount of products that are US copycats. And many of the copycats are more expensive than the imported products. A recent example that I saw was 12 oz of Walmart brand bacon for $8. A comparable brand of Costa Rican bacon was about $13. A package of crapped macaroni and cheese was about $1.10. A comparable brand of the Costa Rican copycat, which I have to admit is delicious and much better, is about $2.