• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Peter the Great in Nutley

Stephanie

A friend of mine was thinking of having a bunch of us go to Peter the Great for their New Year's Eve festivities. Having never been to one of the big Russian restaurants a la Rasputin or Odessa in Brighton Beach, I was wondering if anyone's been to this place, and if so what's it like? Potential for a big ripoff or lots of cheesy fun?

everything I have heard about this place from real Russians is that it sucks.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I've been in the restaurant, but haven't eaten there. It's right across the street from Little Saigon (a Vietnamese place with great pho!), so I walked in one time to check out the menu. I remember it looking decidedly boring (the menu, that is), but I guess that the food's probably moot when it comes to New Year's festivities. From the little I saw of the interior, it looked like a pretty standard banquet hall, but ultimately, it's the people (and I suppose alcohol) that make for good New Year's Eve parties. If there IS a large Russian clientelle at Peter the Great, I'm sure you'll have a great time!

I'll ask around a little bit and see if I can get more info.

I went in one night after dinner at Little Saigon just to see what the place was and check out the menu. Not impressed by the banquet hall interior and the menu (which was for catered events) looked decidely generic despite the Russian influence.