• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Online Dried Pepper\Chili purveyor

BadRabbit

Anybody know of a good online source for dried peppers\chiles? The last few bags I've bought at the store have been tasteless. They are something I don't use very quickly so I would rather just order online if I can find a superior product.

I've been very pleasantly surprised by the quality of chiles I can get from Penzey's (www.penzeys.com). Normally I'd go with someplace in the southwest, but I was out of anchos a year or so ago and doing a Penzey's order and figured I'd try them. They are very nice - large, dried but still supple, very tasty. Comparable to the best I'd get when I lived in Colorado/New Mexico.

Edited by abadoozy (log)

I'll third Penzeys...their catalogue is great browsing too, and I've yet to be disappointed with the freshness and flavor of their spices.

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

My latest order from Penzeys was waiting for me when I got home tonight. Hmmm, I found a few chiles in there:

DSCF0849.JPG

They arrive sealed in reusable ziplock bags, which I unzipped to show them off. The aromas nearly knocked me over.

I started out with Penzeys and Savory Spice Shop. Now I get them from the Chile Guy, who primarily sells to restaurants but also will sell in one pound increments. Prices are excellent and the high turnover keeps things very fresh. Also lots of variety to choose from!