• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Liquorice or Licorice Powder

iainpb

Stupid question, but are we talking the powder from the actual liquorice root, or the sweet that is also called liquorice even though it often has little or no liquorice in it?

Liquorice tea is a popular use of the actualy root, but I have only ever started off with whole sticks so I'm not sure about using a powder. And also, I really hate liquorice tea and was making it as an emetic for an Ayurvedic proceedure...I bet that's really sold it to you right?! But joking apart, it is used in a lot of herbal teas and I don't mind it as a background component.

A local restaurant here in liquorice candy country (Finland) makes a liquorice creme brulée. It also works well with chocolate and raspberries. Add some to a ganache tart or strawberry muffins? I believe I've also seen the suggestion to add some to a gin & tonic, but I'm not sure how good that sounds to you. :laugh:

It is actual powdered root from a Chinese store. Some great suggestions so far, will certainly hunt down that liquorice cake recipe and the idea of a liquorice creme brûlée is quite appealing.

If you are looking for dessert recipes, an easy solution is to take a recipe for a coffee dessert (ice-cream, mousse, bavarian, parfait, etc.), and replace the coffee with licorice: if the recipe asks for normal coffee, then you just have to dilute the licorice powder in water; if the recipe asks for "soluble coffee" (don't know is this product is on sale in the USA), then you just have to substitute the soluble coffee powder with licorice powder. Beware that licorice has a strong flavour, so if these are the first times you use it then it's better to start with few powder and then add more until you reach your desired strongness.

About pairings, the most used here in Italy are mint, lemon and anise. You can try to surf this website for other pairings:

http://www.foodpairing.be/

but they are compiling it, so maybe licorice is still to be added.

Licorice powder can be used even for savory dishes. For example one of the signature dishes of Le Calandre (a 3 michelin star restaurant in Padua) is a risotto with saffron and licorice. You can find the recipe on their book "In.Gredienti".

Teo

Teo

Liquorice and lemon sounds like an unusual combination, I'm going to have to try that as I can't begin to imagine what it tastes like, but I can see similarities in the flavours of mint and liquorice and how that might work. The liquorice risotto is making it to my list too!

thanks for all the replies!

I found one more flipping through some magazines: a liquorice sauce for salmon. Fat Duck inspired but simple. Sorry, this is in the original measurement units:

2 shallots

2 tablespoon veg. oil

0.1 liter soy sauce

2 tablespoon sherry

2.5 tablespoon muscovado sugar

0.25 liter water

2 tablespoon liquorice root chips (know idea how this would convert to powder)

1 tablespoon butter

I suppose instructions are quite straightforward from the list.

Haven't tried it but could be interesting.

Here's an odd one (to my mind) - Pear & Liquorice Fougasse:

pear licorice2.jpg

Came from “Les Meilleures Fougasses” by Benoit Molin. Basically it's a sweet bread dough (which I converted to sourdough for my purposes) which contains liquorice, rolled out. One half of the dough is spread with lemon curd, covered with a layer of a pear jam (pear, cider, sugar, liquorice). The uncovered half is folded over the pear jam, and the slashes just go through the top layer.

M. Molin called for liquorice powder + a commercial product made by Haribo, the large european sweet manufacturer. I just use powdered liquorice from a Chinese supermarket.

More photos here.

Mick

Mick Hartley

The PArtisan Baker

bethesdabakers

"I can give you more pep than that store bought yeast" - Evolution Mama (don't you make a monkey out of me)