• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Measuring cups

Fat Guy

Also some "Dual, magnetic measuring spoons"

Being a rabid enthusiastic collector, I have ordered these.

What can I say? I'm hopeless. :blink:

:wink: I *was* a little surprised NOT to see these spoons in your collection photos. It's a great concept (double-ended spoons that stay nested due to magnets) and they are a joy to use.

I found, in My unused darkroom two plastic measures one is 1200ML(abt 40 oz)and 150ml,abt6 oz. they are calibrated in OZ., ML., and english OZ. real handy Items, as the Ml.measurment in water translates to grams and makes baking measurements much easier...

Bud

If you require larger liquid measures, the Cambro products are superior to others I have used.

I have a couple of the 4-quart size that I used when I was catering but now have been relegated to the gardening shed.

I've used them in the microwave but they do tend to become opaque in spots when I have melted fats in them and left them a bit too long.

The loop handles allow them to be hung up.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I'm posting photos of a set of measuring spoons that are not accurate.

HPIM3898.JPG

In particular the tablespoon.

HPIM3915.JPG

HPIM3916.JPG

Because the sides are not even along the length of the spoon bowl, the contents can't be leveled accurately. The tablespoon measures less than a tablespoon when "level" or as level as one can get in that bowl.

I use these for things that do not require exact or very accurate measurements.

Mostly the tablespoons are used for ready-made cocoa mixes and chai mixes.

One advantage is that they do set flat on the counter, too bad they aren't accurate.

The "adjustable" measure is way off true and I don't use it at all. It just occupies space in one of the utensil holders and I should toss it into the recyclable bin but so far it is just there.....

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett