• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

melmck

Pistachio Paste

Posted (edited)

@JoNorvelleWalker I bought them from aromasicilia.com . No idea if they ship state side, shipping would probably be quite expensive. It already is, even in Europe. 

Edited by Rajala (log)

1 hour ago, Rajala said:

@JoNorvelleWalker I bought them from aromasicilia.com . No idea if they ship state side, shipping would probably be quite expensive. It already is, even in Europe. 

Thanks!  The site mentions shipping only to Italy and Europe.  And, yes, even in Europe the shipping is indeed horribly expensive for a few nuts.  I recently paid about the same amount (well, slightly more) to have a large stone mortar shipped from Italy.

Your paste is beautiful however and I'm sure all the effort will be worth it!

A brownish color is not an indicator of a bad paste...it is just one that has been toasted.

It all depends on the flavour profile you want, a non roasted paste is much sweeter and sublte than a roasted one.

A couple of random thoughts on pistachios - I just got a price quote on sicilian pistachios at $100/kg wholesale.  Crazy!  But if you want 'em that bad, Paris Gourmet is the importer, check with your distributor. 

Also, we know that almonds are frequently used to bring the price of nut pastes down, but I wonder if pumpkin seeds  would work with pistachios, since they are mild, green, and inexpensive.  You know, for those of us determined to make our own ...

Wow, I'm not sure if the ones I get are real Bronte pistachios after what Teo said and was written here as well, but the price I got incl taxes are 58 dollars. A little bit better.

Regarding pumpkin seeds, perhaps? But maybe the texture will be off? Try. :D 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Rajala said:

Regarding pumpkin seeds, perhaps? But maybe the texture will be off? Try. :D 

Of course I thought of this because I just bought pumpkin seeds for other reasons but do not also have pistachios.  I'll have to go back and get pistachios so I can taste them side by side.  But preliminary testing is encouraging.  They needed some added fat to liquefy in the cuisinart, but they have a nice green color not adequately captured and a vague nutty flavor.  Plus they were only a few dollars a pound.

250 g pumpkin seeds, warmed up

IMG_7784.thumb.JPG.3706dfbe677859a7d052f25770455ab6.JPG

still crumbly after 10 minutes in the cuisinart

IMG_7785.thumb.JPG.431516cc14c98a3b2bc2d64a2ed315b7.JPG

added 25 g avocado oil, getting runnier

IMG_7786.thumb.JPG.64d0abf4b5c25f4c8ea6e7ddd2fd8be7.JPG

added 25 g cacao butter because on second thought it'll probably get mixed with chocolate

IMG_7787.thumb.JPG.89b25cfa218aa7dad0dc1f0350beec24.JPG

the color is brighter than this, closer to basil than olive

Edited by pastrygirl (log)
  • Like 3